Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am re-doing my 70 and need to redo the wiring- for sure under the hood. I have never done this before and all the kits look pretty generic. How is this done so that you get a professional look? Has anybody re-used thier existing block and run new wires? If so how did you do that? I have never done this so maybe I am missing something here, just looking for advice. Basically the spot that I am in is from the firewall back everything is in pretty good shape, but firewall forward is pretty cut-up and in poor shape. I am looking for the most cost effective, but professional way to do this. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks-
Nick

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The generic kits arn't to bad,the hardest part is going to be the dash wiring and engine harness.

If you are going to have alot of custom stuff,amps,power windows/locks ect use the generic kits.But if you've got the money and want to keep it looking original i'd get a harness from wiringharness.com

The easiest thing you can do if your going custom is just take alot of pics of the existing wiring and go by that.Get some of that wiring tape,not electrical tape,the original is some kind of non-sticky fabric tape.That will cover up any mistakes or splices you have.

Save all your original connectors,you may have to reuse them.You can get generic white connectors at the parts stores but the white doesn't look to good.I guess you could stain or paint them black.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
The underhood wiring basically consists of the engine harness and the forward lamp harness. These are not generic from M & H. They are built for your particular car and engine. Drop-fit that looks like the original. Just plug them in. They can even custonmize for you if you have something like HEI ignition. http://www.wiringharness.com/

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ss396- thanks for the reply.

The dash harness is in great shape, so I am trying to avoid cutting that at all if possible. I guess what I am thinking is it would be nice to just buy the fuse block and run new wires to the engine compartment, that way I would not have to cut-up the dash harness. It seems like the kits I have seen, you would need to cut up the dash harness to install them.

If I remmember right the fuse block splits in two (front and back) I have to check, but I thought there was some corrosion on the engine side, but not much on the passenger compartment side. Is there a way to get just that half of the fuse block w/ wires, or so that you could run your own wires?

Maybe I am remembering wrong, and the fuse block did not actually split in two. (but I think it did)

Nick

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
john- You snuck in while I was replying to ss396- thanks.

I looked at the link and maybe the engine harness and Forward lamp harness would cover most of my needs. I will try to call them and get some specifics. Do you know how those harnesses attatch to the fuse block? (or is the engine side of the fuse block included?) Do they attatch directly to it or do you need to splice the wires someplace? I hope I don't sound too ignorant here, I think I need some pictures to help me visualize these kits. The only pictures that ever seem to be posted on websites are the aftermarket universal kits.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Behind the fuseblock is the bulkhead connector. Under the dash, the fuseblock screws onto the inside bulkhead connector. The two under hood/outside harnesses plug into the bulkhead connector. If price is a problem maybe Elree Colby has a used refurbished set to fit your car. He's fairly reasonable.
Elree, you around?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John-

Thanks for the info- the bulkhead connector is exactly what I was talking about. I guess I have heard that term before, but I don't think I knew exactly what it was. Getting the right/best part for the money is the most important to me- but saving money is always nice too!

Elree- If you have some refurbished wiring kits send me an e-mail, I might be interested.

Thanks again-

Nick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.