Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I luck to buy a car that someone was making a race car out of 20 years ago and left it..... I am now rewiring... replacing the wiring harness inside and have come to a question that I can not answer.

The plunger switches that activates the interior courtesy light was gone and i replaced them. As I looked at the wiring diagram detail for the courtesy lights I had the impression that it was a large circle using the white and orange wires. As I was hooking up an alarm, the alarm has a feature that will allow the system to kick the courtesy lights at unlock. They have a positive and negative lead for each right and left door.

My question is this, is there a positive or negative that I have to attached to...? is it the white wire of the organge?

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
I luck to buy a car that someone was making a race car out of 20 years ago and left it..... I am now rewiring... replacing the wiring harness inside and have come to a question that I can not answer.

The plunger switches that activates the interior courtesy light was gone and i replaced them. As I looked at the wiring diagram detail for the courtesy lights I had the impression that it was a large circle using the white and orange wires. As I was hooking up an alarm, the alarm has a feature that will allow the system to kick the courtesy lights at unlock. They have a positive and negative lead for each right and left door.

My question is this, is there a positive or negative that I have to attached to...? is it the white wire of the organge?

Sam,

The courtesy circuit uses (2) wires, an orange and a white. The orange has +12 volts power on it at all times, even when the car is off. The white wire is switched, and gets a ground from the door pin switches. Whenever there is a ground on the white wire (no matter where it is), the dome light/courtesy lights come on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks... I was able to look at a Wiring Diagram last night and determined part of that. I was unsure though at the switch because it did not have the "ground sign" on the diagram. I did not realize the white was a constant hot........

THANK YOU!!

·
Gold Founding Member
64,723 Posts
Thanks... I was able to look at a Wiring Diagram last night and determined part of that. I was unsure though at the switch because it did not have the "ground sign" on the diagram. I did not realize the white was a constant hot........

THANK YOU!!
It's the orange wire that is a constant hot, not the white wire.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
I put a headliner in my 70, no troubles with the dome light that noticed. got it all back together and the light stays on all the time. Is there some good guess on what I might have done wrong?

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
Wow, I wouldn't have thought of that. Thanks Dean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts