Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The '70 Chevelle we bought was pretty much disassembled when we got it, although it's fairly complete. Just had to clean up and rebuild someone else's given-up-on project...

We're just about to drop the motor in (454) where a 350 once stood and also get the wiring started. It appears that the forward harness for the lights, etc is there and in good shape as are the engine, A/C, dash and rear harnesses.

Frankly, trying to figure out what goes where scares the h*** out of me. I realize that it's just a matter of going one step at a time and following a diagram, but there are so many potential trouble areas that I want to be sure it's all going together properly. Not having been there for the removal makes it all the more interesting!

One of the things that concerns me is that the car came with a brand-new HEI distributor w/ a built-in coil, but the harness appears to be for a points-type distributor. I know schematics show what connections go where, but is there a different setup on one of these since there is no external coil? I can read a schematic pretty well and most things make sense, but... It's a generic HEI, and no paperwork to refer to!

Also, it has a Holley 3310 with an electric choke - have been trying to locate a wiring diagram on the holley website, but without luck.

No rush, just trying to get prepared...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
One could just tie the points wire back, tape it off, and not use it. Neither the resistor wire or the yellow wire is needed with the HEI.
The HEI just needs a wire from fuseblock IGN terminal. A few places will sell a wire and connector to plug into the GM HEI. You also can attach the wire from the Holley choke to this lead.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts