Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 71 ss chevelle (now) w/a 350. well when i got it it had no motor with all the wiring from under the hood put in the trunk. (boy what have i got myself into)so now i have dropped a new 350 into it i changed from a points ignition to hei ignition, a buddy of mine bet me a C-note that i couldnt get it running without first fixing the wiring. ( i thought to myself no problem)its a bet! run the wire from batt to starter and the ground wire hook up the radiator,alt,power steering(for the pulley)external starter button then i get stumped on the distributor lead (power) so i ask where do i get the power from? , IT CAN BE DONE CANT IT? it has too now cause a 100.00$ will get me in a load of s--- with the woman if i lose! oh yeah i have till wed to make it so so ANYONE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS ALL

·
Registered
2,922 Posts

This is with a coil. Forget about the wire that says "to distributor". And run a positive wire to the "bat" terminal of your distributor from any source that's "hot" when it's in "run" (this replaces the ballast wire that goes to coil "+").

Also, the "I" wire from the starter to the coil + is optional. I don't use one of those.

If you require further explanation, I expect 25% of your winnings.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
The HEI uses a full 12 volts, so make sure you get a good definition of "fixing the wiring" from your buddy. If it means running with the original setup, I doubt the resistor wire for the coil puts out enough to pump the HEI...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts