Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on re-wiring my 67 SS and looking for recommendations on purchasing new harnesses? Any info would be appreciated. Thxs

·
Registered
584 Posts
Kurt,

I went the Painless route with a '71 Nova I had and it pretty much lived up to its name. The only problem I had was getting the wipers to work. They never did even after my father (a NASA electrical engineer) had at them. However they are more affordable and offer great options.

For my '70 however I went through Ground Up. They carry M&H harnesses which are fantastic!

http://www.wiringharness.com/

I just got a bunch of the wiring and it looks great. The nice thing is there is no cutting and terminating like with the Painless kit. It just fits in like the factory stuff and looks the same! The M&H stuff costs more but it looks like it's worth it to me. Anyway, good luck with whatever you choose!

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Ben's right!
M&H is the way to go. I just purchased the engine and front light harnesses from them for my '70.
Even had them modify the wiring for HEI and an internal regulated alternator.

·
Registered
163 Posts
M&H quality and originality is second to none! ...and so is their price. I think I calculated a complete wiring harness with all the different pieces at well over $800 for a complete set?

The Hot Rodders don't care about originality since anything original won't cut it anyway. They have several vendors they buy from at rates substantially cheaper than M&H's.

Oh, you can ONLY get the old style glass fuse box from M&H at last check. These hot rodders use the new GM fuse boxes and new style fuses. They also use GM column style connectors so it should work great in most cases.

I bought mine from Haywire electrical inc. but haven't put it in yet so I won't tell you they are good or not. I know they are a smaller company, their web site sucks, but their people really know car wiring,.... old, new, modified, whatever.

I heard a seminar from one of their people at a car show and they impressed the heck out of me. They know how (and modify as needed) to install fans, lights and more via relay for high current draws and can help plan for your needs.

Oh, the price of their harness to me? I got it at a show special for $165 and it includes the new style GM fuse box, GM column connector, floor dimmer switch, quality wires marked every few inches on where they go, and much more.

I think wiring this car will be one of the most fun parts of the whole project

Steve

·
Registered
237 Posts
Kurt i went with a painless on the 67 and use some other brand for my 72 camaro. the painless was easy...limited wiring experience is needed it is not a direct plug and play. all wires are connected to fuse box and you teminate at the other end(headlights taillights)however the ignintion switch, headlight switch and anyother interior or already teminiated you just plug into corresponding connector. i personally have some wiring experience. i need 18 circuits so i bought a 18 circuit truck kit. it was cheeper than a hotrod kit and had a bulk head connector which was important to me. dash might me tricky if you are using stock. i didnt. i opted for autometer gauges and used painless wiring harness for that. i used all painless switches(headlight and wipers very strait forward)

on the 72 quality of harness and wires great. instructions sucked the big one. if i had not recently done the lemans it would have been very difficult. but i used the painless instructions and it went smoothly.

the truck harness i bought was around 300.00 to my door. hope that helps. Lemanster

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the quick replies. This web site continues to be such an invaluable resource, keep the information flowing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My vote is for a painless kit if you're not worried about originality. I'm pretty electrically savvy, so I enjoyed having the flexibility of installing the 18 circuit kit. You can definitely make it a clean install if you take the time to do it right - I would recommend a switch to electric gauges, and the gauge wiring harness as well. My dash is super clean after installing that kit. I love it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts