Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 1 1/2 years of procrastination I have started on the project once again. I have been cleaning up the wiring harness under the hood and have come across a single orange wire coming out of the harness on the firewall without any connector on the end. I have researched several manuals and have inspected several other chevelles but still cannot trace to what it is suppose to connect to. The wire is 12 gauge.
I am hoping that someone out there might know to what I am referring.

signed "Lost without a clue." :confused

rick
Team Member
posted 03-23-2002 04:06 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kurt
Is it an A/C car? Sounds like the power wire to the A/C relay. Does the wire go thru the wiring gutter acrossed the top back of firewall? If so, it starts at the relay above the brake booster and goes to a fuse holder right where it exits the wiring gutter.
To get a better answer, you should post this in the electrical forum below.

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI 350/700r4

[This message has been edited by rick (edited 03-23-2002).]

72402kurt

posted 03-23-2002 05:40 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for your help but when I checked to see if it was the ac wire that was in place. It appears to have gone through the gutter on the firewall but I was mistaken with it being a 12 gauge wire. It is more like 14.
I will also post this in the electrical forum.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
A #14 orange wire up there is for the blower motor. See if the other end looks like it goes back to the bulkhead connector. That's the way it hooks up for a non-A/C car.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
If your car had heat only the wire in question would be for the blower motor. A car with A/C has a separate harness for the A/C components including the blower, in this case the orange wire is not used. It was typically cut off close to the main harness during assembly.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Elree Colby has it, the wire is cut off at the factory in a/c cars, documented in the factory assembly manual.

------------------
65 Danube Blue MALIBU 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts