Team Chevelle banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the wiring harness in my 70 SS, but i'm not sure which company to go with? After looking around on here I see some people love the Painless system and some hate it. I also noticed people recommending M & H or American Autowire. So which one do I go with?

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Do you want a original replacment or a Aftermarket universal kit? Either way, American Autowire builds concourse quality reproductin harnesses from the factory blueprints and also has the best universal kits.

Is it basically stock? or a Hot Rod? Adding many electiracl options? A/C? Power Windows? Electric Pumps?

I have gone through the pain of a Pianless System, not again!

We have installed American Autowire for more then 20 years when they started in their garage. And never lost points for wiring on our Concourse restoration show cars or high end Pro Touring projects. And most importanlty do not have any electrical issues after the installation.

Let us know what works best for you and we can set you up. You may even want to call and discuss options.

·
Premium Member
845 Posts
Well, it is more money to replace orignal harnesses, but much easier. Plug and play. About $800 for everything depending on the exact options.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
I think it comes down to how good you are at wiring. I just installed a Painless 12 circuit kit in my 1967 El Camino and it couldn't be easier, but it did take some time about 14 hours after cleaning out the old harness. The cost was $386 for everything compared to the $900+ for the bolt-in kits (everything with shipping) and you get modern fuses instead of sometimes hard to find barrel ones which are going to be harder to fine as time goes on. I think it comes down to if you want something original or not. Painless makes a great kit in my opinion but you need to be good at wiring, if not stay with the bolt in kit. Also keep in mind if originality is important stay with the stock kit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I do not have a problem with American quality but I think a diagram would not be to much to ask. I went to a HEI package and single wire alt. on my chevelle. Tcs wires and air cond. wires were not needed (vintage air) a diagram would have been nice. They answer questions better when you buy direct.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
just finished my 68 today with american autowire. very nice and it was a breeze. my vote is aw

·
Premium Member
18,160 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with either. Painless is nothing but a pain IMO.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
on my 70 i used american. went with the 1 wire alt. and hei. everything went perfect, no problems at all. ordered everything except for the harness under the carpet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts