Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would i be better off buying a whole new fuse block and wiring harness for a 68SS or modifying a FREE 69 4-door harness? Can i modify it?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey 68,
If the original one is bad enough that you are considering using a harness off a different car that you may have to modify, I'd bite the bullit and buy a new one. Friend of mine bought a 66 GTO (well at least it's a GM A body) from a guy who had tried to rewire it with a harness from a Lemans Station wagon. He was totally frustrated with the car and sold it for a bargain. The wiring was totally hacked. He finally gave up and took it to a friend of ours (Dave) that owns a good repair shop. Dave spent over 50 hours on the car chasing shorts and making that old used harness work. It's finally fixed but for the time and money spent he could have bought a new harness and had it installed by a pro! Don't screw with an old harness unless you just don't have any other choice. And adapting another harness to your car from a different model is risky at best. Good luck, mgg

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've rewired a couple cars and I can say that it takes a knowledge in (simple) electronics and a LOT of patience!!

In a 55 Ford truck, I used a GM loom out of a 70's GM so that it had the newer style fuse block. (the truck had a GM steering column) I had a wealth of spare time and very limited money when I did it!!

One of the things to think about is that if you use an old loom, you will still have an OLD loom when done!

The safest way to go would be to get one of the "reproduction" looms (from M&H electrical).

Another way would be to use one of the new "replacement" looms that Painless Wiring has. It's a 18 circuit assembly! Uses the newer flat type fuses, and has a bulkhead fitting at the stock firewall location. (part number 20102 in their new catalog) Call them and get a catalog (817) 244-6898

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.