Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am curently trying to convert my 71 malibu over to an "ss" clone. i have the "ss" dash, its from a 70 monte. my question is will the stock malibu wiring harness work with the ss dash? i had pulled the dash out of a monte that a buddy of mine had for a parts car, and i never got a chance to take the harness for it.

aaron

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have converted a malibu harness to an SS harness. It is quite involved and requires parts from a donor harness. I have been think ing about offering this service which would require removal from your vehicle, shipping, 1 week to redo and ship back. So your car would be out of commission for 2 weeks.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)
My 70SS

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just did the opposite. Had a SS Monte dash in my 71 Malibu. Someone installed it years ago and did a total butcher job to the harness. Almost nothing worked on the dash. Ductwork is different too. I just replaced it back to a sweep dash with the harness and all is good. Also, the correct dash matches the car a whole lot better than the woodgrain instrument bezel which was on the Monte dash. Good Luck!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey guys thanks alot for the help. so i guess the sweep style harness wont work with ss harness. Is there a harness that will work for it, besides going to the yard and ripping one out of a monte? does painless have a harness that will do the job? i really wish i would have pulled that harness out, but i never got a chance to. www.71chevellessclone.mychevyworld.net there is my site ya ya'll wanna check out the 'velle. oh did i mention i am 14 turning 15 in a few days.

aaron

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Painless sells a universal harness that can work. However, you don't have the right connectors to adapt to it. M & H has a drop fit harness but it's going to cost you. Cheapest bet is either dig up a harness or talk to Steve S or Elree Colby.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I second that. Elree is THE MAN in my book. Hooked me up when the chips were down and now my 72 SS that was a pure hack job is newly rewired from front to rear!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts