Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that car is in paint...being painted I was looking at the harnesses. I found the original interior harness in good shape and then another one I bought at some time ago... swap meet? They are both in really good shape and if I use these could save approx $500 or more... always more, sigh.
Anyways the car came with the standard light speedo gas gauge cluster. I have gone replaced it with a Gauge cluster with gauges, clock and tach.
So where there was a bulb there is now a gauge.

Pic #1 Can the bulb holders be cut off and the proper gauge plugs be put on this harness?

Also as it had a column shift and now is floor Guessing I will need an extension to connect the rear back up light switch...neutral safety from under dash to console?

Pic #2 Can the Orange extension be used for the console? may or may not be long enough...? What does anyone think this was used for?

As Bill says everything was an add on so looks like I have some work cut out for me.

Motor vehicle Scrap Gas Electrical wiring Pollution

I did find that the one harness has an accessory extension. Can this be used for the Console?
Shoe White Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle

There is another lead with a 3 pin hole switch back and a relay. This I know I will not need as its for a Convertible top or wagon rear window switch.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Electrical wiring Cable
Pliers Automotive tire Bicycle part Metalworking hand tool Tool

Thanks in advance...Casey

·
Premium Member
13,090 Posts
The orange wire could be used for the light at the rear of the console and the ground would need to be tied to ground for the door switches. If you are talking about the shift indication lighting that would be a gray wire instead of orange. Also if the orange wire isn’t long enough you can jus crimp another connector to a wire and extend it to the console. It doesn’t have to be orange. I think the wires going to the rear console light in my 69 are red (hot) and black (ground). Easy to remember.
Don’t think you can use the dash bulb wiring for the gauges because that is a different circuit. The dash lights (gray wires) get powered when one pulls the headlight switch unless you mean the gauge lighting. In that case yes.

·
Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
9,305 Posts
IIRC when I changed mine from column shift to floor I bought the ext. wire kit and again IIRC there was an existing plug in the original dash harness that it plugged into, the neutral safety switch gets moved down there to IIRC, I believe Brad is correct about Or wire lighting the rear floor light with dome light and gray with dash light for the gear indicator lights, then you have the neutral safety switch wires

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Brad and Rick...
Was thinking that the harness would use a different circuit for the actual gauges...and not just bulbs...
Can anyone shed light on the sending units...are they different for a bulb system than gauge system?
Oil is live oil so that is not an issue.... but temp and voltage will be...

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
That looks like an addon for the convertible power top. It is the one with the cowl rubbers that connects to a 30 amp circuit breaker. The orange wire that is connected to the the middle of the fuse panel with a keyed connector is for a glove box light but it has been hacked to provide power to other things. The console bulb is connected to the main harness and it requires two more harness to make it work and be factory.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bill.
I was looking at the M&H site and there are so many to look at hard to know what I need...
Hoping to speak to a human with a pulse when I call them.
I don't want to put out money if not needed...who does...???

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
AAW is the source that I will be going to for their Classic Update Kit for my 67 Chevelle
as M&H does make one for my 67 // however I think they do make one for a 68

Here is the one for your 68
Classic Update Kit - 1968-69 Chevy Chevelle
you just have to tell them what is special about your car EG. HEI Dist etc.
" Each kit includes all the basics needed to rewire a vehicle from headlight to tail light
and will accommodate popular add-on items such as electronic fuel injection, aftermarket gauges
and common supporting modifications."

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kirk
I will be calling them sooner than later....
Thanks for letting me know they help you out rather than you do your best to ask for what you may need...

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Premium Member
3,892 Posts
Thanks Bill.
I was looking at the M&H site and there are so many to look at hard to know what I need...
Hoping to speak to a human with a pulse when I call them.
I don't want to put out money if not needed...who does...???
Sometime they answer immediately but most times you will need to leave a message buy they will always call you back. Or if you want we can set up a call and the two of us can go over what you need if you go with M&H and then you can call them afterwards and confirm.

Bill

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Robert I'll take a look!
Bill I will take you up on that call. I can call you when you specify a time...PM me your details and I can call.
Thanks all again... help is always welcome!

Casey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts