Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 70 SS has had this problem for about 10 years.The car will be running fine ,then all of a sudden everything goes dead.Everything!It has done it to me the last two times I've taken it out for a ride.Prior to that it was 6 years ago that it last happened.
Every time it happens I have to get out ,open the hood and tighten the bolt that attaches the wiring harnesses to the firewall connection, then it starts right up again.Two weeks ago when it happened I took apart the harness connection cleaned everything and put it back together with a new bolt from a new harness I have. It ran fine to the cruise night the next week,but on the way home it did it three times.You can imagine how frustrating this gets when it keeps dying ,always at the worst place(traffic etc.)
When I tighten the bolt up again it seems real tight ,nothing seems stripped.A friend said put locktite on the bolt but I want to be able to get it loose in the future.
Has anyone had this problem? And any solutions are welcome.
Thanks
Ken

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
This on the block near the battery? Anything seem loose when you tighten up? Believe there's a fusible link there. Vibration may be seperating it, then moving the wires around may be what's making it work again.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John
The bolt is where the engine harness and light harness connect to the bulkhead connector at the firewall, on the engine side of the firewall opposite the fuse panel.I give it about a 1/4 turn and it starts right up again.I'll check the fusible link just to make sure and post back here.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the fusible link near the battery,where it connects to the small block on the radiator support.It was snug but not tight and the connections needed to be cleaned up.The wire from the fusible link to the small block is very soft, almost flimsy. I don't know if that's the way it is suppose to be? Where can you buy the fusible links,maybe I should replace it?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The link is actually the piece of wire with the lug or eyelet attached. It's around 5 inches long. The flimsy part you probably played with is the joint where is connects to the real copper wire. A local real parts house should have one. Sometimes I nab one off a 80s car. The more modern ones have a hard plastic connection and I cut them a few inches back away from the joint, into the copper wire, and splice them in.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
This is similar but not exact. I'm not driving. This is from a post on 5-15-04

I finally found the REAL problem. The fuse block on the inside firewall had a terminal that was not installed with enough spacing, between the terminal behind it. When the fuse block attach to the firewall the attach screws would tightened the block the terminal would bend back and touch the terminal clip behind it.

This short was between the instrument fuse terminal and the heater fuse located at the clips to the right of the fuses for attaching additional wires. I reshaped the terminal , also placed some rubber between the problem and mounted the wiring block.

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dean
Yes the bolt is the one that holds the wiring harness plug to the firewall plug.I removed the screws that hold the fuse panel in and checked the terminals inside,everything looks ok and nothing is loose.I tightened the bolt as much as I could.I drove to the local cruise night and back without incident.Next I'm going to remove the wiring harness bolt again and recheck all the terminals to make sure none are loose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts