Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!
first time posting, and just wanted to ask a little question. I am planning on doing a complete overhaul of my interior, but until then, I have a little problem. My speedometer, and odometer have stopped working. I know what your gonna say, who needs to watch their speed right? and the least amount of miles on the odo. the better? well, I am trying to sell this ride, but until then, I need to get my speed/odo meters working. Before they stopped running, the speedometer would run about 10-20mph faster than I was realling going, then it just stopped altogether. Any ideas anyone? I know its simple but I suck at wiring, and have no idea.

Help would be appreciated.

Josiah

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Welcome! The good news is, it's not wiring for the speedo. It's a cable, most likely you've lost a grip on one end or the other. Perhaps the speedometer end just came loose, maybe the square end is worn. A cable repair kit is easy touse, most auto parts stores will have them.

Good luck!

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Registered
388 Posts
The cable goes under the car to the transmission so check there to see if it is loose or broken.The other end goes into the back of the guage, so do the same there.

Did the speedo needle bounce around before it stopped, or was the speedo making noise?You may want to oil the cable while you are checking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by speedster:

Did the speedo needle bounce around before it stopped, or was the speedo making noise?You may want to oil the cable while you are checking.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It just bounced around, no noise, but I will check it now that I know where to look at

Josiah

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.