Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received my June issue of Car Craft and they have a "Recommended Charging-Cable Gauge Size" matrix based on the output amps of your alternator and length of wire. Looks like I better get rid of the 10 gauge I have and look for some 6 gauge. Didn't realize there was that much difference. Might be something for others to look at as well.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Here is something else I found a while back.
http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001859.html

Stops at 7 AWG and 66Amps.

I have 10 AWG on my 95Amper alternator. It's been doing fine so far. It may make the alternator work a bit harder, but it gets the job done in a safe manner. Terminations are key. Solder & crip if possible.

I'll be looking for said 6 Gauge wire on your car come show time.
That baby will be HUGE!

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
19,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine is currently a 10ga wire as well and hasn't seem to be causing any problems yet either. Here's a link to the matrix published in Car Craft though. http://www.dalesplace.com/htm/information/alternator_wire_size.htm . Anyone shed any light on the real need to upgrade from a 10ga to 6ga? I have a 100 amp 1-wire alterntor.

------------------
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67 SS & 67 Elky
GR8PMKN

Dale's Place Team 67
Midwest Chevelle Regional Governing Council
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Probably the best way to check your car is to turn on all the electrical loads that you can and check two things. One would be the temperature of the wire from the alternator; just touch it and see if it is warm. the other and slightly more scientific would be to check the voltage drop between the alternator and the battery. Wire size alone is only one part of it. The quality and number of connections in the circuit must be considered, too.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Those chart numbers look high compared to what the factory seems to do. I'd think the pick-ups that have the 105A alternators have 8 guage as the charging wire. It sure doesn't look like 6 guage.

The main concern is melting the insulation. Any good wire shouldn't melt till at least 60 degrees C. In a car application, the current draw usually isn't constant but rather sporatic. The only real exceptions are the fan and headlights, which would draw at most 50A together when on. If you follow that in the chart, you then get 8 guage (7 to 10 feet), which is the factory wire.

The 10 gauge wire for 0-20A, 13-16 foot runs doesn't follow the factory either. The factory puts 16 guage on the fuel pump run that must be at least 13 feet of wire.

I'm not at all concerned about the 10 guage wire I've got on my 67A alternator. I put 500A through a 10 gauge wire at work for about 1 minute before the insulation really started to melt. Just testing the current source

Peter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts