Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold (non-eBay) a 'customer' a wiring harness for the engine bay out of a Nova, sight unseen. I didn't falsely describe it, I just said it was in pretty good shape for a used harness, missing a few connections but splice-able (which is the truth). Since it was from the firewall out, I didn't know how to seperate from the fuseblock without tearing up other stuff, which I wanted to leave intact. I ended up cutting off at the firewall, again to be easily splice-able. I really did not know of another way to do this, and thought it would be acceptable. My dad was saying it was something I could do, but apparently we had a miscommunication and he was talking about something else. The guy is not only unhappy but demanding his money back. Just so I know for future reference, how would I go about seperating something like this from the fuseblock so I can just sell that front harness only? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you look on the 71 you have listed in your signature:
You will see a bolt between the 2 connectors on the firewall side. That needs to be removed to separate the outer from inner bulkhead connectors.
*Think that may have answered the question.*

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
As John_Muha stated there is a bolt in the center of the two harness' in the engine side of the bulkhead connector. This bolt on my 73 and 74's has a retainer clip so the bolt does not vibrate loose and fall out. These two haress' are cliped to each other with one harness plug being for the ignition, starter, and alternator harness while the other harness is for the front end lighting.
To seperate the 2 male harnesss from the bulkhead connector (they have to be removed together and seperated after they are loose and away from the female connector in the firewall), loosen the center 3/8" bolt a few turns and then pull both connectors away from the firewall a little. Now loosen the bolt some more or all the way and then the harness' will be free from the female connector that is still bolted to the firewall. Once you get the two harness' free then they will unclip from each other by sliding the one away from the other one.
I just took these pictures of the bulhead connector I have for my 74 to give you an idea as to where it's at.
Bulkhead Connector

Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts