Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '68 that I've converted from column to floor. Have also gone from PowerGlide to TH350 transmission.

Had read some posts here (Interiors)that said just removing the column shifter would allow the floor shifter to work the neutral safety and back up lights. I couldn't figure out how that would be the case, and sure enough, it's not in my case.

My question is if I buy the wiring harness and associated extender harness, find the plug under the dash that originally came from the column, does that do the trick?

Anything I might be missing?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
See my post about converting from column to floor shift in a '70. Some members have given some very good advice that should be applicable to you as well, and there's even a handy document linked.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by webfoot:
See my post about converting from column to floor shift in a '70. Some members have given some very good advice that should be applicable to you as well, and there's even a handy document linked.
I'm sure this is good information, but not necessary applicable to my car. Looks like it deals with 69's and up. Mine's a '68. They key in my car is on the dash, not on the column.

Hopefully, I can identify the one of the two wires going to the starter from the ignition switch. Until I determine that a wiring harness will do the trick, I may try cutting one of the two wires, splicing in some leads that would reach the console, and running those through the neutral switch. Anyone think that would work?

My concern with buying the new harness is that the old system was set up for a 2 speed Powerglide. The transmission in it now is a TD350. I know the old column shifter wouldn't even shift past "D" , manually into 2nd or 1st gear. Something in the back of mind tells me that just buying a new harness that connects into the old interface may not fix that.

Would love to hear from an expert on this, and I will do some more searching.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
The connectors on the '68 in the column will be the same when you pull them from the column to attach to your console harness. What you wont have is the connector for the courtesy light and gear indicator backlight. They are a seperate connector (with a gray,white, and orange wire).

Now, you are welcome to try and splice into the purple wire from the ignition switch but keep in mind that you will then have 2 neutral safety switches, one in the column, and one in the floor shifter. Now what happens if your column shifter gets moved? The car won't start.

Take some time to find the correct connectors and it will be a whole lot less painful. The neutral safety switch connector has two 12 ga. purple wires in it (in this configuration "||") and the backup lights are in a connector that has one pink 18ga? wire and one light green 18ga. wire (blades are this way "--"). This is for 68 Chevelles, couldnt tell ya about 69-72, but just because the ignition switch is in the column, doesnt affect where the neutral safety switch connector is.

·
Premium Member
7,278 Posts
Originally posted by NOZ34ME:
Had read some posts here (Interiors)that said just removing the column shifter would allow the floor shifter to work the neutral safety and back up lights. I couldn't figure out how that would be the case, and sure enough, it's not in my case.
If you leave the column shift linkage in place between the transmission and the base of the column, moving your floorshifter rotates the column and activates the neutral safety and backup light switches at the base of the column. Most people call that the "backdrive linkage." I thought all the extra moving parts were wasteful and in the way, so I just removed the backdrive linkage and disconnected the NSS connector (purple and purple w/white stripe wires) and reverse light connector (green and pink wires, I think) and connected them to the switches on my floor shifter via jumper wires running under the carpet. If you do it carefully, this is actually a pretty clean installation. You can get connectors at the hardware store that plug directly into the factory connectors on either end. It's easy.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by red68chevL:
The connectors on the '68 in the column will be the same when you pull them from the column to attach to your console harness. What you wont have is the connector for the courtesy light and gear indicator backlight. They are a seperate connector (with a gray,white, and orange wire).

Now, you are welcome to try and splice into the purple wire from the ignition switch but keep in mind that you will then have 2 neutral safety switches, one in the column, and one in the floor shifter. Now what happens if your column shifter gets moved? The car won't start.

Take some time to find the correct connectors and it will be a whole lot less painful. The neutral safety switch connector has two 12 ga. purple wires in it (in this configuration "||") and the backup lights are in a connector that has one pink 18ga? wire and one light green 18ga. wire (blades are this way "--"). This is for 68 Chevelles, couldnt tell ya about 69-72, but just because the ignition switch is in the column, doesnt affect where the neutral safety switch connector is.
This is helpful information.

To clarify one point, I wasn't planning on just splicing in to the existing circuit. I was planning on cutting the wires on the firewall side of the connector, and tying the console switch in at that point.

Thanks very much.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by Georgia69:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by NOZ34ME:
If you leave the column shift linkage in place between the transmission and the base of the column, moving your floorshifter rotates the column and activates the neutral safety and backup light switches at the base of the column. Most people call that the "backdrive linkage." I thought all the extra moving parts were wasteful and in the way, so I just removed the backdrive linkage and disconnected the NSS connector (purple and purple w/white stripe wires) and reverse light connector (green and pink wires, I think) and connected them to the switches on my floor shifter via jumper wires running under the carpet. If you do it carefully, this is actually a pretty clean installation. You can get connectors at the hardware store that plug directly into the factory connectors on either end. It's easy. </font>[/QUOTE]I would have loved to use the "backdrive" method, but the linkage was for a powerglide, not turbo350.

The other plan you suggested is exactly what I first wanted to do. In fact, I had made up a wire harness with the female spade type connectors to accomplish it, but the guy that put in my console didn't feel comfortable wiring that up.

I'm picking up the car this Friday, so I'm anxious to try out the solution as you addressed.

I also got some useful information as far as wire colors to tie in the lights from another post.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by red68chevL:

OK, I found what appears to be a plastic block with 4 terminals that both the neutral and reverse light wires plug into. It's mounted on top of the steering column but down near the firewall.

If I unplug the existing wires (purple/purple & green/pink) from this device, can I then just run wires from the switch on my console to the same device?

My dilemma is from my vantage point, I can't see anything coming out of the terminal block I mentioned. So, I'm wondering how these wires I'm going to connect to this device then go to a point where they actually do something. I don't think the wires going to it now are doing anything either.

·
Gold Founding Member
64,241 Posts
The plastic block with four wires on it is actually two switches (one double pole - single throw switch) operated by a tang that protrudes down through a hole in the column and is actuated by the rotating shift tube inside.
Purple wires are neutral safety switch and the other two are backup light switch.

You should be able to extend the four wires that you disconnect from the column NS switch and connect them to the floor NS switch.

Assuming the NS switch on your floor shifter has the same double pole - single throw switch configuration as the old column switch.

You can just leave the old column switch as is (with no wires on it)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Dean:
The plastic block with four wires on it is actually two switches (one double pole - single throw switch) operated by a tang that protrudes down through a hole in the column and is actuated by the rotating shift tube inside.
Purple wires are neutral safety switch and the other two are backup light switch.

You should be able to extend the four wires that you disconnect from the column NS switch and connect them to the floor NS switch.

Assuming the NS switch on your floor shifter has the same double pole - single throw switch configuration as the old column switch.

You can just leave the old column switch as is (with no wires on it)
I like it. Thanks- - need a weekend---bad.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got reverse lights working off the console today;

Any safe way to check the neutral switch? Got the car in the garage, interior completely gutted except for the floor shift and I don't want to drive through the wall.

Thanks.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, Dean.

Will probably opt for the quick hit with my foot on the brake.

Thanks again for your help earlier. Very good information.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Tied the purple wires to the console switch this afternoon; everything worked like it should; starter hits in Neutral & Park, doesn't in reverse or drive.

Beautiful!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I also have converted my column shift in my 70 ELKY to a floor shift. The console already had the console harness. I purchased a console extension harness from OPG. I've found the NSS and the Backup Lamp wires. I can't find where to plug the last connector. Its a white connector with 3 wires in it. Orange and White for the courtesy light and Gray for the shifter light. I can't find a spare plug on the dash harness that has all three of these wires. I know I can splice into them , but I was hoping I didn't have to. Any idea where this connector might be or do I need to disconnect anything.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Not all dash harnesses have the console light connector. If a console was to be installed the appropriate dash harness would be installed during assembly. The exception is the harness for the optional gauge dash has the console light connector even if the car didn't get a console. Unless you want to replace the dash harness, splicing is your only option.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The car is a bench seat car with the standard dash. Your post at least tells me I'm not blind. I looked every where for that connector. I'll splice into the gray, white and orange wires.

Thanks for your help.

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts