Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a set of Windstar fans a few weeks ago, and have some questions on the wiring. I'm going to be running both fans through relays of course, and have the big one come on with a temp sensor, and the small one come on with the A/C. Where do I tap into for the fan to come on with the A/C, and how do I wire that into the relay? And how would I wire in an override switch for the small one as well, in case I need to turn it on without having to run the A/C?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone? I did a search and didn't come up with much...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Just trying to follow along:
Well, if you are thinking about adding an override switch, why tap into the A/C switch in the first place? Why not just use the "override" switch to control the fans? Seems slightly redundant.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Just wire each control wire to the hot side of the relay's coil.

You can use either a diode or another relay to prevent energizing the AC when you turn your override switch on.

A diode might be a little cleaner installation since it can be soldered into the wire and then covered in shrink wrap.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Problem with tying the fan control wires to the A/C coil wire is the A/C relay coil is only powered in HI blow mode. Kinda why I asked why the A/C switch was even needed in the circuit.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Wouldn't the compressor come on everytime the thermostat tells it to? That's what I was thinking. If the compressor comes on, have the fan come on as well.

You're definitely much more familiar with OEM wiring than I am, John. I always tend to just yank it all out and wire everything my way.

I can make anything work, just don't ask me what color the wire is. It's always whatever color I had handy at the time. ;)

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by cjlandry:
Wouldn't the compressor come on everytime the thermostat tells it to? That's what I was thinking. If the compressor comes on, have the fan come on as well.
Only if the selector switch is set to A/C. In the other modes it won't kick in and the add-on fans won't come on.
Colors??
Bad
Boys
Rape
Our
Young
Girls
But
Violet
Gives
Willingly
Did I remember that right?

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Yeah, that's what I mean. If the selector isn't set to AC, you don't need the fan to come on, right?

Oh, it's "Bad Boys". Down here they use another adjective for the boys. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The 64-72 A/C is non cycling. The compressor runs continuously when A/C is selected. Temp control is via reheat. The air is cooled then reheated by the heater. I would connect the relay to the clutch power wire, dark green. You may need the high flow, big, fan along with A/C. Use the diode as stated by Chad. I can never remember, is the color band on the + side or the - side of the diode?

Would it help the have a diagram?

Yes indeed John, you got it right. Resistor color band chart. Not exactly the way I was taught, but politically correct.

:confused: But: What does it have to do with the speed of the drive shaft?

Bad--------Black
Boys-------Brown
Rape-------Red
Our--------Orange
Young-----Yellow
Girls-------Green
But--------Blue
Violet------Violet
Gives------Gray
Willingly----White

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Originally posted by Elree Colby:
:confused: But: What does it have to do with the speed of the drive shaft?
Just goofin' a touch Elree. Something about having to work on Mondays just does it. Actually the color code was taught that way years ago. Somehow it just stuck.
Agree with Chad's idea that the selector switch would work but wouldn't that also hold the compressor on any time the fans were needed?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The compressor clutch wire is already under the hood, easily accessed and when it has power is when you want a fan running. Actually I can’t think of anything else that would start the fan when needed.

The color band is on the negitive or cathode end of the diode. So it will connect to the relay, right? anyone. Well if you connect it backwards the relay won’t pick up.

By the way, Are you thinking of the Brazil nut?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, so I connect the relay to the clutch power wire but where do I splice in the diode and which kind should I buy?

Could someone make a simple diagram for me on how to wire that with a relay? Would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Justin - you should be able to cruise by just about any Radio Shack and they will be able to help you pick out the right diode. I imagine just about anything for a 12 volt system ought to do, right Elree / John?

Nice diagram by the way, Elree, did you just do that in paint or something?

·
Premium Member
2,152 Posts
A 1N4002 or 1N4005 should do fine. I think the 'Shack still carries them. You're only trying to block "backfeeding" from the override switch to the compressor. The above parts will have more than enough capacity to drive a Bosch or similar relay.

The band on the diode goes "against" what you're trying to block (as drawn in the diagram). Current will flow from the un-banded side through the band, but not the other way.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks alot for the help guys!! Great diagram Elree...that helps a TON! I'll go check out Radio Shack for the relays. I think I might have a few laying around actually...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts