Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 70 chevelle has the original column in it. The car was and original malibu with the 3 on the tree. The car is now a floor shift.

Since then I found a good condition steering column from a 68. Floor shift with all the knobs. problem is the ignition is on the dash. I am re wiring my car and if it's the only difference would make the swap.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help…

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
406velle

2 yrs into a rebuild and still breaking things twice and fixing it on the third.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Me?? Opinion only. I won't do it. Believe the turn signal switch connector is different. Cut and replace. Need to cut into the ignition wires and add on older connector with about 3 feet of wire to a dash mounted switch. I like the fact that the newer columns somewhat hid the starter wires. Also like the locking wheel. Mechanically, will the column fit? I can't answer that.
Opinion again. I'd sell the older column and buy something newer.

·
Registered
17 Posts
are you only replacing the column to get rid of the ugly useless hole left over where the shift lever was?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>are you only replacing the column to get rid of the ugly useless hole left over where the shift lever was?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that was part of the reason. The other part is I dont have the keys to the ignition on the column either. Also since the ignition was on the dash already I thought it would be an easy thing?

Thanks for the lead I'll check them out…

What kind of "newer" columns can I put in with minimal suspension alterations?

------------------
1970 chevelle
406 - TH-350 - soon to be 411's
406velle

2 yrs into a rebuild and still breaking things twice and fixing it on the third.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts