Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having some problems with my wiring for my headlight switch I have a '69 El Camino SS that I have had for 12 twelve years it has been parked for 10 and I now getting in back into shape but being short on cash I have been trying to find a wiring diagram online and am having no luck so if anyone knows where I can get one would you please let me know. The problem I am having is that as soon as I plug in my headlight switch my park lights and dash lights come on and won't go off it doesn't matter whether or not the switch is on or not my headlights won't come on at all and have no power running to them at all I have just replaced the switch with a brand new one so I know that is not the problem any input at all would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Can't say I see the problem offhand without blaming the switch. Might have 2 problems. One with the tail light circuit and one with the headlight circuit. Suggest trying a couple of things. Below is a listing of the headlight switch wires and what they do. Pop the tail light fuse out. Both the dash and outside running lights should go out. Re-install that fuse. Pop the short dash lamp fuse out. The dash lamps should go out. If that seems to be working check voltages to ground on the headlight switch wires. See what looks normal according to the listing below.
Schematics for basic wiring can be found in the Haynes Chevelle manual available at places like Pep Boys. Also found in the assembly manual.

There are 2 switches inside the headlight switch.
Switch 1 - first notch on the switch
Orange - input power. Comes off the tail light fuse. Powers the green and brown wires.
Green - output to dash lights through the dimming rheostat.
Brown - output to front and rear running lights.

Switch 2 - second notch on the switch
Red (input) is always hot. Comes in from the BAT side of the fuseblock. It powers blue for the headlights.
Blue - output to headlight dimmer switch on the floor.

White - grounds the interior lights when you rotate the dimming switch until it clicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John
Thank you for the advice I will try to trace some of the wires tonight and see if it works I will let you know

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Thanks for the help knowing what wires did what allowed me to trace the problem down and now my lights work right thanks again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I feel pretty stupid I had the red wire in the wrong place going to the switch but until I read your first reply i didn't think of that I used your information to trace wires and couldn't find a problem so I went back to the switch and started tracing continuity through the switch with an ohm meter and low and behold I had the red wire on the blank plug and was running hot to the park and interior all the time so that was the problem again thank you ever so much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts