Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
question for the gallery at large. I have a battery drain problem with my 68. Came with the car. Vehicle is draining 800 milliamps/.8 volts. Pulled fuses one by one with no drop in voltage. Seemed almost like a light staying on so i repeated the previous step with all the lights then disconnected all at once. no change. That was the easy solution . now im concerned about searching blindly for a wiring prob. without a proper diagram. Im used to the dealership probs. that can be fixed with a little know how and a good diagram. any help would be excellent.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm just brainstorming ideas here on things that may not be tied directly to the fuse panel.

Do you have a volt gauge that is wired directly to a constant power source? A thief alarm system? Stereo clock/preset memory circuit? Maybe a brake light switch going bad? Glove compartment light? Check anything that needs power when the ignition is off.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
there isnt a clock or alarm installed but the brake light switch i missed. its amazing that no matter how many times ive done this at work, you can still miss certain things thanks guys. Im gonna check on friday at work. ill reply on what i find

·
Registered
163 Posts
Just a couple of "off the wall" ideas to try if it's not the obvious.

Take the fuse box off and look at the back. I have seen corrosion cause some funky things back there.

Whats the chances that some of the connections under the hood are all greased up? If enough contaminants get in there, it may conduct.

You may also want to go out on a really dark and quiet night and look for light where you didn't expect it, or some sort of weird noise. Had a trunk light bulb stay on one time. There were some options of hood lights as well. Have a console?

What kind of stereo is in there?

I take it the battery goes dead after a day or two? And it is holding a charge ok? Just curious what method you used to measure the drain?

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts