Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing a cluster with gauges in my 64 chevelle that had idiot lights.All of the diagrams I have found only show w/lights not gauges.I worked on any original S/S car and it had a ballast resistor at the horn relay,but have not been able to find what the ohm resistance is suppost to be.If anyone has information or a diagram it would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
64 is the only year that used an inline resistor for the amp gauge. It wasn't a good design, increasing the resistance of the power feed wire, added to the hot starting problems.

Starting in 65 the amp gauge measured the voltage drop across the wire feeding power to the horn relay from the battery. You can add a junction block, next to the battery, and connect one wire from your amp gauge to it and the other wire to the horn relay.

If you want a resistor the value will be around .0125 ohms. That will give you a .5 volt drop at 40 amps. Good luck finding a single that can handle the current or any .0125 ohm resistor for that matter. I do have a cluster of 8 parallel .1 ohm 10 watt resistors that I used on my 70 ElCamino, thought I could improve on GMs J-block - horn relay design, but I took it out when I was battling hot starting problems. Went back to the J-block - horn relay connections.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. That helps! I think I'll just try to get a wiring diagram for a 1965 Chevelle and wire it with a junction block.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.