Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Kit,
I have both a types of gauges in my 68 SS396. I put the amp meter in around 1969 and it still works fine with out any problems. Both gauges work, and the volt meter is easier to install. Since you have the amp meter, and it matches your other gauges, I'd use it.
On my 68 the positive terminal on the battery has a large lead to the starter and a smaller lead (about a 10 gage wire) that runs to a insulated plastic terminal mounted on the inner fender. All current going in or out of the battery (except for the starter) goes through this wire. Disconnect this wire from the terninal (after disconnecting the ground strap from the battery) and connect it to a length of wire, of the same or larger gage, long enough to reach your gauge. Hook it to one of the terminals on the back of your gauge. Hook another length of the same wire to the other gauge terminal and run it back to the teminal block on the inner fender. Now any current go in or out of the battery will pass through the amp meter.
Replace the ground strap and test it by turning on your head lights with the engine off. If the needle shows a discharge you have the wiring correct. If the needle moves to the charge side the wires on the back of the gauge need to be swapped to the opposit terminals.
Don't skimp on the wire, if you use a smaller wire it will not be able to carry the load and you'll have an amp meter story like the previous posts.
GaryR

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.