Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1970 El Camino. Just bought a set of Sunpro mini gages to put in it.The instructions are confusing on how to hook up the wires for the ammeter. Can anyone tell me the proper place to hook up the wires so that it will show when it is charging and dis-charging. (As in when there is a drain on the electrical system from turning things on.)The El Camino is a 1970 with a 350 motor 350 tranny. Standard ignition. Your help would be appreciated.I appreciate the warning on the ammeter I have recieved from othet enthusiasts,but I already have the gauges to put in.I have had the same brand and model gauges in my 1974 Chevelle for ten years and also in my 1974 El Camino for four years. I need to go with these gauges because of their size. They are one and a half inches in diameter. The regular 2" will not fit.

[This message has been edited by Kit (edited 05-31-99).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
Kit, personally I would not install a amp. meter gauge. My electronic guy told me that ampmeters ruin more wiring than anything else. He installs a volt meters. There easy to install and tells you more.
All they need to be wired is any ign. switched connection at the fuse box.
Be very careful with a amp.meter.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have to agree. I have a 68 chevelle and just a couple weeks ago my ammeter burned up along with the wiring that supplied it. That was scary! I was told the same thing by my favorite electrical shop after that happened. Go with the voltmeter. It is also alot easier to install. Plus the voltmeter shows if your battery is charging or not and that is the most important thing to know, not how much current you are using. Take it from someone that learned the hard way!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Kit,
I have both a types of gauges in my 68 SS396. I put the amp meter in around 1969 and it still works fine with out any problems. Both gauges work, and the volt meter is easier to install. Since you have the amp meter, and it matches your other gauges, I'd use it.
On my 68 the positive terminal on the battery has a large lead to the starter and a smaller lead (about a 10 gage wire) that runs to a insulated plastic terminal mounted on the inner fender. All current going in or out of the battery (except for the starter) goes through this wire. Disconnect this wire from the terninal (after disconnecting the ground strap from the battery) and connect it to a length of wire, of the same or larger gage, long enough to reach your gauge. Hook it to one of the terminals on the back of your gauge. Hook another length of the same wire to the other gauge terminal and run it back to the teminal block on the inner fender. Now any current go in or out of the battery will pass through the amp meter.
Replace the ground strap and test it by turning on your head lights with the engine off. If the needle shows a discharge you have the wiring correct. If the needle moves to the charge side the wires on the back of the gauge need to be swapped to the opposit terminals.
Don't skimp on the wire, if you use a smaller wire it will not be able to carry the load and you'll have an amp meter story like the previous posts.
GaryR

·
Registered
368 Posts
Gary's got it right. One more thing. Be sure that there is a #14 fusible link in the wire from the pos battery cable to the terminal block. This prevents the wiring from burning up if there's a short.

------------------
Fred Aldrich
Web Site: www.GeoCities.com/~69_chevelle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.