Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,man one thing after another here.Here is the problem.Ive been installing a new ho 350 engine,all new parts and puting in a new hei distributer,had points,Ive read over and over in need a 10 or 12 guage wire runing to ignition and did that,but prong on fuse box dosent have current at the ignition prong,what should i do for the current for this,the old ignition wire that was on the coil,is a 14 guage wire,Ive wired that to electric choke and has power,could I use this wire for the distrubter,or what should I do,
Thanks again
Rick

·
Registered
388 Posts
The ignition prong doesn't have current when the ignition is turned on? I dont think you can use the old coil wire cause I think Ive read that they are both resistor wires regardless of guage..You can use any wire in the car that is a 12v when the key switch is turned on.Try a search for the HEI in the archives to find an alternate wire to use.I think I read before that the orange wire for the heater blower motor could be used. If this helps any..

[This message has been edited by speedster (edited 02-21-2002).]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok I can do that,thanks Speedster,can I still use the old ignition wire to power the electric choke;
Thanks again
Rick

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
If you have the literature on your carb, I think that you need 12 volts to the electric choke, too.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Registered
388 Posts
On the firewall next to the A/C and Heater box there is a square solenoid to the left of the distributor[looking from front of car].Use the wire terminal on that that is hot only when the key is on.

You could also use use one of the wires on the alternator.I'm not sure wich color it is, but one of them is hot only when the key is on too.

[This message has been edited by speedster (edited 02-22-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts