Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new wiring harness for the engine block and components, for my 72 SS. The guy that had the car before me bastardized everything. My question is, can someone tell me the proper route the wires should take for the wires that run from the firewall to the starter? Also the firewall to the alternator?

Currently the one's running to the starter are very close to the exhaust manifold and they aren't protected. Which leads to another question, what should be protecting them?

Thanks in advance!

Murph

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not sure how different 72 is from a 71 but here goes. The engine harness from the firewall goes up and ties up across the middle/top of the firewall through the wiring gutter and down to the starter on the passenger side. The front light harness goes from the firewall across the left front fender through a hole in the radiator core support. It goes up to the top of the core support form there and there are a few plastic clips to hold the harness up. It then goes through another hole in the core support by the battery where the junction block is and continues around the right side of the battery and to the alternator. I'm working from memory here so I hope this helps. The factory assembly manual has a picture of the routing and I highly recommend one if you don't have one. Once you start the wiring it will all make sense. It did for me anyway. Good Luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys...thanks. A quick follow up. The gutter you guys are talking about, is more like a "u" shaped clip that the wire loom runs through, correct? The "u" shaped clip is screwed to the firewall?

Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts