Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my 69 chevelle ready for inspection (it's first since 1994) and when I hook up the wipers they will not shut off. I replaced the wiper motor (old one was dead). I have a high and low speed but will not shut off with the switch. Mine park below the hood (if I can get it to work). I took apart the switch to look for broken parts but it checks out ok. It's like the energizer rabbit they keep going and going.... help!

------------------
Frank
69-454-456
Gold Member # 216

·
Registered
548 Posts
Frank did your car have hidden wipers before? When I changed mine to hidden the switch worked backwards OFF was where high speed was.Just a thought...FRED

·
Registered
425 Posts
It might be what seams to be the standard answer for all electrical problems, a bad ground. I recall a similar discussion several months ago on this and the wiper motor needs to be properly grounded for the park feature to work. Try doing a search, I think you will find some good info already available.
As I recall the discussion, the motor gets it's ground via the switch to run, but needs the other ground to "park".

Hope this helps some,
Bill

·
Registered
934 Posts
Boy, could I have used that info way back when I had my 1970 Chevelle Bill.

I too had wipers that wouldn't shut off and I used to have to get out and hold the wiper arms when they came down to the bottom of the windshield. Somehow, that used to park them.

I never knew of the ground wire. I bet that was the problem. Well, I will never know, the car has been gone a long time now.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
First thing to check is the ground connection in the firewall terminal. I just cleaned them all with contact cleaner and reassembled. I even thought the friggin gasket had to be around the motor so it wouldn't ground out!

Nope. My switch was incorrectly wired. Sure it has a special shaped connector, but someone had taken the wires out of the connector and replaced them. All wrong. Anyway, I had to PAY a guy to do it and for $30 he got the thing to turn on and off. It would've required rippin into the dash AGAIN to get it right! Some day when I've got nothing better to fix.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 10-20-99).]

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think if you lose your ground at the motor they'll stay on all the time???

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
994 Posts
BillT is correct regarding the switch & ground. On my 67 there are three wires. 1)park 2)high spd & 3)slow, but this only happens when the high & low speed circuts join via the switch. I may wrong, and probably are, but thats how I recall it to work as explained to me by the guy who rebuilds them???

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

Susp: Neg. Roll

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are FIXED! Thanks for all the replies this is a great web site. Ok, I checked the ground on the switch (ok), checked the wiring (ok). I then removed the washer from the motor and watched to see if the park lever would kick out. It did not. When they rebuilt this wiper motor the bolts holding the park lever were to tight and would not allow the lever to kick out and park the wipers. After loosening the bolts and readjusting the park switch the wipers shut off like normal. Great....now for the inspection and off to my first cruise I hope.. Thanks again everyone....

------------------
Frank
69-454-456
Gold Member # 216

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.