Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wipers on my '70 SS don't shut off. They also run on the fast speed in the off position (extreme left), and at slow speed in the center or extreme right switch position. Does anyone know the theroy behind the switch operation? The wiring diagram shows just that - wiring connections, but not an actual schematic of the switch/motor combination.

I checked out all the wiring, and all 3 of the motor terminals on the wiper motor(not the duplex plug for the pump) seem to be connected to the copper ground strap, even though one of those 3 terminals receives the 12 volt power lead. The operation of the switch doesn't seem right, either. I checked it out with a continuity tester and the off and low speed seem to connect the same terminals. HELP PLEASE - does anyone know how the switch is supposed to control the motor? I think that the switch is simply switching in resistance in the motor to change speeds - power doesn't seem to be delivered to the switch per the wiring diagram.

Does anyone know where I can buy a new motor and switch?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Try Year One (www.yearone.com) or Original Parts Group (www.opgi.com). They've got brand new motors and switches. If you need the part numbers from me you can order them online instead of waiting for a catalog. Let me know. My email is [email protected]. It sounds like you have a switch problem. I don't know how they work either but I am pretty sure that's what it is.

1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 |11-17-69
Green Mist w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP Small Block

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Berry
The wiper switch should ground the black wire (single wire connector) when in the off position and the low speed position. It should ground the light blue wire when in low speed position and high speed position. The dark blue wire grounds when the switch is pushed in to engage the washer pump. The black with yellow stripe supplies + voltage to the motor and washer pump solenoid.

Summary:Black grounded for park. Black and light blue grounded for low speed.Light blue grounded for high speed. Hope this helps.

Elree Colby
Chandler AZ.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 08-29-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Elree, thnx, I needed that. Same prob as berry. Berry, I replaced my switch with a used one and still have the porb. Our sponsor, Ground Up, has these for $50 or so.Let me know if the new one clears it up, I'll have to get one too. I don't think my prob is the switch.

I tested the blue(s) and black wires. When installed on the motor, they are gounded out, i.e. the pup is on. When I test them off the motor, they seem to ground when they're supposed to as you move the switch. Go figure??? I even when to far as to replace the gasket thinking it preventerd the motor from grounding, but now it's slower, but still on.

Anyway, this one has taken me more time and effort than replacing the 396 with an L88!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-27-99).]

·
Administrator
16,204 Posts
berry, first try and pinpoint where you are getting the ground to complete the circuit . unplug the wires from the switch if the motor still run it is in the wires or the connections inside the motor. Unplug from the motor and supply 12+ to the terminal where the black/yellow stripe wire went, if it still runs it is a problem inside the motor. Don't spend any money till you know what you need. Could just be dirt forming a bridge to ground.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Sorry Berry Got my wires crossed black and lt blue
. Please see relply #2 for correction.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 08-29-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts