Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 71 with hidden wipers.. I put on a new wiper & washer and promtly smoked them. I am suspicious about the wiper switch. I took the pump off and only wired the motor. motor would not spin but keeper latch would click on and off. At the same time, I noticed sparks flying out of the front of the wiper switch. I had taken the switch apart cleaned and regreased with electro-grease. I think the grease my be causing a short which fried the motor.

1. Since the keeper is engaging/disengaging is it possible the motor is still good or a pipe dream.

2. What do the sparks coming from the switch tell you guys?

3. I've been told there is no diffrence in the hidden and nonhidden switches is that true? NOBODY has hidden switches only everyone has the nonhidden kind.

Thanks,

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I had taken the switch apart cleaned and regreased with electro-grease. I think the grease my be causing a short which fried the motor."

I don't see how offhand. There is no 12 volts brought into the switch. The switch only switches ground. Had everything been shorted together inside the switch, the motor and pump would have just run and not stopped.

"1. Since the keeper is engaging/disengaging is it possible the motor is still good or a pipe dream."

Anything is possible but either the motor was hooked up wrong under the hood or it was a bad motor to start with.

"2. What do the sparks coming from the switch tell you guys?"

One of the 3 wires, from the motor to the switch had 12 volts on it. When you flipped the switch on, it shorted to the separate ground wire that goes to the switch. I can't answer which one of the three.

"3. I've been told there is no diffrence in the hidden and nonhidden switches is that true? NOBODY has hidden switches only everyone has the nonhidden kind."

If there is it must be some physical feature I don't know about. There is no harness difference and no harness being sold as a "non-park" harness. The motor park feature is strictly inside the motor. The switch only has normal on/off contacts in it. Actually except for the mounting bracket, switches from later years can be used. Mid 70's Novas look the same to me.

If there is not some kind of odd short, in the harness wires to the motor, suspect something wrong with the motor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stopped by NAPA at lunch and ordered a new motor. I'm still worried about the switch. John as you know every harness in this car is new and I don't think I connected the wires to the motor wrong. I said the motor was new, but it is about 13 years old. I took it apart this morning and the long bolts that hold the lower can on were rusted. I hope this is it.

Do you think I should go take out the switch, wipe out the goo and put it back in or try one of these other switches?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I know all of your harnesses are new. Don't think it will make much difference if the grease is in there or not. Think I'd be more concerned over what may have happened to the switch.
Sent a picture of a switch to your listed email showing which terminals are which. That switch came out of "park" wipers car. I'd use an ohmmeter and check out that or another switch before you power things up. Also check the wires at the motor before you install things.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John, Got your email thanks.. Looks like I'll be back in the dash tonight....

With the ohm-meter I should be able to tell if I'm getting mixed signals (ie short) from the switch simply by open/close right?

Just asking for double verification... I can't keep buying wiper motors..

As a side note: I have actually enjoyed working on the electrical stuff.. I even learned to solder.. had to even wire in some extra gauge lights, and hot rod some other wiring to make it compatible with the harnesses... Everything seems to work, with this wiper exception. Thanks for all the help along the way John.... you da MAN.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jody
Sent some more information to your email from Elree. Talk to him about it. There's a lot of good people that hang around here and try to help. I just can't see people putting out big dollars to have someone fix a loose wire for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts