Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

We finally got a bit of rain during a time when the Sprint was on the road! So, of course now I have something else to work on.

here's the deal. I turn on the wipers. They're a bit slow, but altogether acceptable. When I switch them off, they cycle another 8-10 times across the windshield before turning off. This doesn't seem right to me. What should I be looking for?

advTHANKSance

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project
All I need is time...and some $$$
"Tourist, go home! And take someone with you!"

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Cecil,

Check and make sure you have a good ground. There should be a ground wire directly from the switch to the instrument panel. Usually bolts to the metal speedo housing. Also check to be sure all of the connections under the hood are clean and making good contact. Grounding is usually the cause of this problem.

------------------
FastSS396Man
Brian

Fastss396, Fastss396,Fastss396,
Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396,Fastss396
69' SS396 Chevelle
L78 396/375hp
M-21 Close Ratio
Cortez Silver
10 year Resto
It's brand new again!
02' Harley FatBoy, Diamond Ice Pearl.

·
Premium Member
1,406 Posts
Cecil,

If all wiring checks out OK then I would next look inside the wiper housing for worn or dirty parts. There is a relay or electro magnetic switch inside the wiper motor that may be failing.

FastSS396Man

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. I was just out there and if I push the switch (if I had all the hoses and stuff this would activate the washer pump) a few times it shuts off in just a few strokes. So, it's either the switch or inside the motor.

Wow, I'm glad I narrowed that down!

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Cecil
What rain? Send a little north would you? That internal relay Fastman referred to mimics a bad wiper switch. Sometimes it won't go on, sometimes it won't turn off. Put another wiper motor assembly in mine from Kragen.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know, the San Diego version of a rain dance is to wash and wax your car. We're supposed to get a fast-moving storm through tonight that will leave many puddles for the kids to splash in.

I'll check this out. A new motor would go a long ways toward making this rain-safe. Then, of course, we won't have any more for a while so I'll have to park it in the sprinklers to test it out.

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, more info. I worked over the washers, got them to work. While doing this I disconnected the wipers from the motor so the motor could spin without moving the blades. Interestingly enough, while running without the blades, the motor stops as expected when I turn off the switch, When I hook them back up, it continues to cycle. This sounds mechanical and not related to the switch.

What do you all think?

advTHANKSance

------------------
Cecil Hawkins
San Diego, CA
1971 GMC Sprint
The Project

1 - 8 of 8 Posts