Chevelles.com banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok....my 68SS has hidden wipers. They would only work, and slow, in low speed. High speed they would park. I have been reading all the forums, and they all talk about making surew the switch is grounded. Low and behold, my switch was not. But before I placed the strap in the right position and grounded it to the dash bewzel screw, and button up th whole dash board, I tried to ground the switch by itself first. To make sure everything would work ok. No difference! I noticed thast when it was in low speed, if I rubbed the ground wire to the strap, it would have little sparks, like I would expect it should when completing the ground. But in high speed ....nothing! Just parks as if I shut them off. Any suggestions? Could it be the switch, or motor? I am bumb founded. Maybe just dumb!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Unplug the connector on the switch.
There’s four wires (5 connections) attached to the motor/pump under the hood. Two of them are yellow or yellow/striped and jumped together. That’s the 12 volt connections for the motor/pump. Others are black, light blue, and dark blue.
Leave the connectors on under the hood. Turn the ignition switch to ON. Try jumpering the light blue wire to ground. The motor should un-park and run high speed.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to be certain.....yellow wires are in the center of the motor wiring, correct? That is, of the 3 terminals coming out of the motor, the center one is yellow?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Can't answer that one without looking at the motor and connector. Don't remember offhand. Can't go out to look at the car 'cause I'm supposed to be working.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
This is actually for a 1969-1972 era set-up, but it should be very close, if not the same:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by Coppertop:
This is actually for a 1969-1972 era set-up, but it should be very close, if not the same:
Just a note for anyone looking. The switch is not wired that way for a 72. The 72 has some odd things about it.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
This is a pic of a 68 switch.

Check that the switch grounds as follows.

Black-grounded Low-speed and Off
Light Blue-grounded Low-speed and Hi-speed.
Dark Blue-grounded when pushed for washer

The 72 switch has the black switch ground wire molded into the connector. Connector has 4 wires as opposed to three wires and a separate switch ground wire, as shown in Coppertops illustration.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok....I jumped the light blue wire and the wiper worked.I couldn't really tell if it was going fast or slow. I disconnected the arm from the motor, and then I could tell. Then I tried it at the switch, making sure the switch was grounded. The motor seemed to work in all speeds now, except now it won't park. I put the arm back on, and it parks, but then the motor turns off when I put it back in high speed. I AM SO CONFUSED!!!!! With the arm disconnected, works in both speeds, but won't shut off. With arm on, won't work in high speed. HELP!!!!!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Leave the ignition key off.
Look at the list that Elree put right above your last post about which wires get grounded.
Disconnect the connectors from the motor but leave the ones on the switch.
Select the switch to the different positions and with an ohmmeter check to see if the wires, on the motor connector, are being grounded in the proper position.
Try it several times by moving around the switch position to make sure the switch and wiring are OK.
(It almost sounds like one of those wires is not being grounded at the right time).

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well,did as everyone suggested. I can't teel you how much I appreciate this forum, and TC!
In off postition, only black is grounded. Low position black and light blue are grounded. High position, nothing is grounded. And whem I push on the washer, nothing happens either. To me it seems like the switch. What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The switch function described previously was incorrect it has been corrected. Black and light blue were switched.

To answer your question, yes the switch is bad. When in the high speed position the light blue wire needs to be grounded. If it's not grounding the wipers will travel to the parked position, sometimes the park switch will reclose starting the park cycle over, and over...

Ground Up has the switch . Part # GWS 104

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you John and Elree. I am going to order the new switch now. then I can button up the dash, and go on from there. By the way....there is another ground strap that connects to the light switch. Where does that go to? It is a ground just like the one for the wipers.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You may also want to verify continuity between the motor connector and the switch connector on the dark blue wire. Agree the switch needs replacing but none of the tests so far has proven that there isn't another problem. Easier to measure it now then find out later that there is a second problem.
*EDIT*
(Unplug both the motor connector and switch connector to verify continuity. This will prevent you from getting a false reading because the pump is still plugged in.)
The head light switch goes through a large eyelet lug. Large enough for the threaded end of the switch to pass through. It's only purpose is to ground the switch body to turn the dome light on when you rotate the switch until it clicks.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did have all connectors at the motor and pump disconnected when I did the ground tests. I wanted to make sure no backward continuity.

As far as the ground strap for the headlights, there is a metal strap (like the one for the wiper switch) that is screwed to the ring the headlight switch goes through. But where does the other end screw to? I know the wiper strap screws to the screw that holds the dash bezel to the dash frame. What about the other one for the headlights. The lights work fine. As a matter of fact, i thought it was for wipers until I pulled the dash down to check the wiper swithc, and saw both straps.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Elree.....that is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you for the picture. Just when frustraion sets in, TC members bail us out. Elree and John...you guys are tops.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Might go by National Parts Depot in Ventura to see if they carry it. El Camino Store in Goleta doesn't show it listed for that year.

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks, John. I will check them out tomorrow. NPD seems to be my home away from home. Thinking of getting a part time job there, if I can get employee discount! Thanks again for all your help!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts