Chevelles.com banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a 66 or 67 chevelle 2 speed wiper motor fir on a 65 chevelle? i bought a billet switch that was only made in 2 speed. would it bolt up or would i have to re-drill some holes? Also would a 2 speed motor off any other cars work?

Brent

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Those motors are not a direct swap. I don't know if you try and mount another motor in there you won't have problem. It may not align with the transmission. Buick may share the same motor but not sure. Not sure what the problem really is. There is a 2-speed motor made for the 65. One of those with the harness for it sounds like it will do the job.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
The 65's used 2 different types of motors. Square body and round. Both came in 2 speed versions but the arms are different. You will have to use the correct combo of arms and motor. I had all the part numbers written down but can't find them right now. The square motor bolted directly to the firewall and the round one used an adapter plate. I have only seen the round one on 2 cars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you could get those part numbers i would appirciate it. also i was hoping that i could use one off another year. but oh well.

thanks guys

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
I don't know why a 66 or 67 wouldn't work. I have a Hollanders manual lurking around somewhere I'll see if I can find that too. I may even have a 2 speed wiper motor. Still have most things packed away since I moved and finding the right box is not easy.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't work too hard Philip. Hollander doesn't show it crossing to a 66-67 motor. The only crosses shown is a 66 Chevy "Pass" car (maybe the Bel Air??) and the 65-66 Olds F85. Sorry I guessed Buick earlier. Ident numbers are 5044626 & 5044630.
The 66-67 crosses to a whole lot of other cars.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
John now I am curious as to what the differences between the years are. I noticed that on some of the square motors I have the shaft is offset. On my 64 the shaft is centered. I thought the offset one might be an early Camaro, but maybe it is 66-67 Chevelle. The round motor I refered to in the 65's has an offset shaft and that is why it needed the different arms.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That one's beyond me Philip. A lot of the part information I get from a stack of books sitting at home.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Brent, here are the numbers that are stamped on the arms for the 64 square motor set up. on the arm that runs between the blades is 38 and the arm that runs to the motor is 10. If I am remembering correctly the arm that runs to the motor has a different stamped number for the round style motor I think it was a 13. If someone has a 66-67 apart maybe they could look at the stamped numbers on their arms so we can compare.

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
A 2 speed motor uses a longer cross arm than the single speed motor. It's about 1 to 1 1/2 inches longer.

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Not your years, but when you get into the '68-'72 years, the hidden wiper option uses a different motor and different arms.

We had to find the adapter plate to mount the hidden wiper motor on our '69 Elke, plus buy the arms.

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Roy your 65 has the round motor on it, that is why the arm is longer. It also makes it easier to find a motor. My SS is a 2 speed and the El Camino is a single speed both have the square looking motor and the arms are the same. Could you send me a close up photo of the installation, showing the plate it is mounted to?
Thanks, Philip

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a hard time replacing the two speed square W.S. motor in my '66 El Camino last year. The catalog replacement unit (from A-1 Cardone) was square, but it did not mount to the existing holes, the base was offset if I remember right (I had similar trouble with the heater fan too), and the arm might have been different length too. Rather than take it apart and try to "make it fit", I took it back and asked to try a '67 two speed square unit - a perfect replacement! I also have a 65 442, it has the round unit, and the mounting holes (probably arms too) were very different from both of the square units when I compared them.
Jim

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
Phlip.
My computer crashed last week and I still don't have all the goodies up and running yet like my scanner and dig. camera. Car is all together and painted. Would be hard to get any pictures with the brake booster and hood in the way.

Team Chevelle Gold Member #74

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
Thanks Roy. Your car does look great, from the pictures you sent I can see the round motor, just not enough detail to see the mount area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts