Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the wiper motor get grounded ? Mine will only work if I ground it to the body with a piece of wire. It was off the car , should there have been a ground wire?

My key minder switch in the sterring column works only sometimes, other times I have to wiggle the key. Is it under the turn signal switch or do you have to take more out than just the turn signal switch?
Would bending the contacts closer help it to make a better connection with the key?

How do you get that plate off that is over the turn signal switch? Is that plate hard to get back on?

The car is a 69 chevelle with the ignition switch on the sterring column

Thanks for any help
Jerry

·
Super Moderator
15,883 Posts
The wiper motor should be grounded. If it's the same as on my '65 model the motor is mounted with rubber bushings so a grounding strap connects the wiper motor body to one of the mounting screws for a positive ground. If it works with a ground wire to the firewall, find an inconspicuous way to hook that up and call it done.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I don't know about 65, but in '68 the wiper switch completes the circuit to ground. There's a hot to the motor at all times when the key is on. The switch grounds one terminal for high speed, and both terminals for low speed. I think the '69 would be similar. A couple of '77 cars I had worked the same way, so I don't think '69 would be different.

For the park circuit for hidden wipers, it's a whole new level of complexity. I hate nothing more than trying to repair a screwed up "park" mechanism.

------------------
My Web Page (updated 06-21-02)

"Long Live Freedom!"

Chad Landry
TC Member #643
ACES Member #4556
'68 El Camino, 357, L31 Vortec heads, 700R4,
8.2 10-bolt, 3.55 gears, Auburn Pro Posi.

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 07-18-2002).]

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys guys.

I did see that grounding strap but I painted the washers on the rubber gromets so it probably isn't making a good connection. I'll clean some of the paint off.

Thanks again.

Maybe someone will chime in about the other questions about the key minder buzzer .
I did do a search but didn't get all I need to know
Thanks

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Key minder contacts are under the turn signal switch. Bending them may fix the problem but they could be damaged. Easiest way to get the lockplate off and on is with a lockplate tool. If you go to www.toolsource.com
Type in 57340 into the search block, it will bring up the Lisle 57340 steering wheel lock plate tool. Click on that for a picture. Should be able to find a tool like that at the chain auto parts stores.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John
I used a small knife to pry that ring off and can see the buzzer contacts now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts