Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a 72 El Camino. The wiper motor that was on the car originally was an aftermarket motor/washer. The washer did not work.

I have pulled a few original washer/wiper motors out of a local junk yard. They work, but the switches seem to be in the wrong position.

I'm wondering if anyone has a diagram of the correct connections on the wiper/washer motor complete with wire colors, and functions?

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I lose track of names but didn't I send you a picture of the switch indicating the wires and functions? With a schematic it should be sort of easy to see what is going on. Is it a schematic that you need? There's one in the Hayne's Chevelle book available at Pep Boys.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John,

Yes, you did send me a picture of the switch and the truth table.

I need a description of the wiper/washer motor end connections. Maybe that's the schematic?

The problem that I have is that the wipers are running on high when the switch is in the off position.

Thanks,

Tom.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
*Edit*
There are two connectors under the hood. Small one plugs into the washer. Left side, Black/W yellow stripe (12volts), right side dark blue (washer return).
Large connector into the pump. Left black (pump winding return) Center Black/W yellow stripe, Right Light blue (pump winding return).
Does your motor also run on high when the switch is in the high position? Does your motor run if you just hook up the yellow wire? The motor actuates by grounding the motor windings through the switch. Have you checked to see if the RETURN wires are shorted to ground?

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 01-02-2002).]

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John,

In the high position, the motor is off, in the low position, the motor is in low and in the off postion, the motor is in high.

The motor will not run with just the black w/yellow stripe wire connected.

Testing the washer.

Connecting the + side of a volt meter to the Black w/yellow stripe connection, and the - side to the dark blue, I read 12vdc only when the washer button is pushed. This is good.

Now the wiper motor.

With the switch off:

Connecting the + side of a volt meter to Black w/yellow stripe and the switch off, touching either pump winding return lines shows no complete circuit.

With the switch in low:

Touching either pump winding return lines shows 12vdc.

With the switch in high:

Touching the black pump winding return shows 12vdc and touching the light blue pump winding return shows nothing.

When the switch is in the off position, the motor is running on high. How are the windings getting grounded to run? Does the motor have a ground problem?

Tom.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Motor windings are getting grounded through the switch. The switch has a separate ground to it. In the low speed both motor windings are grounded. In the high speed only one winding is grounded. Almost sounds like the light blue is shorting to ground in the off position. Just a guess. It's been a while since I played with one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was never sure if this problem was the motor or the car. I now believe that the problem is in the car.

I pulled the wiper/washer motor and bench tested it. I used a 12v battery charger and a number of electrical jumper cables.

To test the motor, connect the jumper cable to + battery charger connector and the two 12DV connections on the motor. These are the connections that get the black w/yellow stripe connection.

You can then test the motor functions by connecting the other terminals to the - battery charger connection using other electrical jumpers.

Also, you will need to ground the motor case to the - battery connection.

I was able to determine that the wiper motor was functioning correctly outside of the car. And, I was able to fix the washer function by cleaning a metal plate that was supposed to be moved by a magnet, when the washer switch is pressed. The plate was dirty and would not be moved by the magnet alone. I also had to use the quick charge setting to get enough power to move the plate once it was clean.

Now back to the switch...

Thanks for the help and insight into these motors!

Tom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts