Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstoff, thanks go out to the many who help on this board, and for the opportunity to post my problems here.

So here goes:

My '68 El Camino was without any wiper motor when I origionally purchased her from a tow yard in sad shape.

Now I have her running and fixed up, so I got a wiper motor for her, however, wiring it has proved to be a pain.

Starting out with the wires in question coming from the passenger side half of the engine harness (2 sided block that bolts to back of fuse panel).

---
1. Orange (Blower Motor)
2. Dk Purple (Starter Motor)
3. Ign Wire

and then the remaining five were cut at the same length, an obvious hack job. Their colors are (U for unknown what they do):

U1. Blk
U2. Lt Blue
U3. Dk Blue
U4. Dk Blue
U5. Yellow

Attempting to wire the motor up once I had it installed, I checked to see if any of the 5 unknown wires had 12v when I moved the wiper switch to Lo/Hi/ or pushed in to Wash, nothing. The only wire with 12v was the U5 Yellow wire, however it would stay hot no matter what the position of the wiper switch.

So I tried to test the motor using the only hot wire (U5), on each of the 3 prongs for the wiper motor. The prong all the way to the left/bottom (pass side) when given some voltage, moves the wiper arms up for a second very slowly and then quits.

When I put 12v on the middle prong of the 3, the wiper arms moved down very rapidly for a second and then quit. Now keep in mind I am holding the 12v on these longer than a second, just to clear that up.

Prong 3 (farthest to right/drivers side) does nothing when 12v is applied to it.

Moving up to the washer? (Black plastic cover/ 2 male prongs) applying 12v and a ground to one end will make it "click" once, no matter which one of the two I use for 12v.

So basically, I need to know which color wires go exactly where on my wiper motor, I am pretty sure that I need a switch as well, but need the motor hooked up properly when that is taken care of.

Again, my application is a 1968 El Camino, with provisions for the CONCEALED wipers. I have accordingly bought a wiper motor for concealed wipers, however since the previous owner decided to cut the wires rather than leave the electrical connectors on, it makes things tough for me because I do not have the wiring diagram for her. Perhaps there is one on the internet or you can recommend a good manual as well?

Lastly, I am pretty sure that 2 of those wires would go to the Oil Pressure sensor and the Temperature sensor, but again I do not know which wires, and even what those sensors look like

Many thanks for reading my novel (sorry), and any and all help will go much appreciated.

Thanks again,

Angel68 <--Because she is white!

[This message has been edited by angel68 (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks John!

That did cover basically what I was looking for.

So from what I gather, on my 3 prong motor, the top/right terminal is +12v constant, the middle prong is lo speed ground and the left/bottom is hi speed ground.

I am not too sure on how I would wire the motor up with the wires I have currently though. Should I put the Yellow wire (U5) with the constant 12v to the right motor terminal, or should my LtBlue wire be supplying 12v to that prong but can't due to a faulty wiper switch?

Other than that, I suppose the Black (U1) will go to the left motor terminal, and the DkBlue (U4) will go to the right washer terminal. But what about the left washer terminal and the center motor terminal???

Maybe my other DkBlue wire (U3) goes to the middle, and the Yellow (U5) goes to washer left to leave my LtBlue wire to power the motor.

I am also wondering whether there was any difference in the wiper switch for conceleable wipers as opposed to regular wipers (prob. not my guess
), however I am shopping for a switch as we speak.

Also, my secondary question thrown in there was where do I look for my temperature and oil pressure sensors.

I know that one is on the driver's side middle of the block, which one is that? Where's the other? And most importantly, what wires do I hook in there?

Thank you for making my project get closer and closer to finishing.

Angel68

[This message has been edited by angel68 (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The yellow wire (power source) will connect to both, the wiper motor middle terminal and the washer right-hand terminal. The motor connections are in a vertical row, light blue connects to the top and black connects to the bottom. The dark blue connects to the left-hand washer. The black light blue and dark blue all ground at the switch to complete the circuits.

This is for the hidden wiper(round)motor.

One of the two dark blue wires will connect to the oil pressure switch. With the ignition on one of them will have 12 V. that wire when grounded by the oil pressure switch, will turn on the oil light. You can test it by grounding the wire the oil light should go on. The water temp switch will be a dark green wire. It will be in the forward lamp harness and should be about half way between the firewall and the core support.
The temp switch also grounds to turn on the temp light.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
John, Just checking in again...

Try to contact Dean, he supposedly saved a picture I drew (a very detailed one about 2 years ago) of a 1970 hidden washer/wiper wire connections and colors. It would make things a lot simpler for a lot.

This dec. I redid my computer and lost a lot of files so I can't upload anything right now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many, many thanks go out to John and Coppertop, and a special thanbks go to Elree, you hit the nail on the head my friend, thank you.

Where are the oil psi sensor and temp sensor in my 68? I can't seem to find them, well one, but I am not sure which one that is (middle of driver side block).

Many thanks again,

Angel68
"Its great to have wipers"

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Coppertop (Joe)
I have a nice diagram that Elree sent me. Unfortunetly it's sitting on my work computer. I hate to wake up Dean.
Got the front fender replaced on my truck. Hood it still misaligned. Think I prefer wiring to body work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Many thanks again to all you Chevelles.com gurus!

Sorry for not stating this earlier but my '68 had a Goodwrench "Target" 350 in her when I got her. I am sure the origional 327 is long gone by now.

I have her wired correctly now, however my wipers only work on the LOW speed setting. How can I go about fixing this? Does this solidify my hunch that I need a new wiper switch?

And thank you for helping me find the correct DkGreen (Temp) wire and DkBlue (Oil) wire. When grounded, both of these set off their coresponding idiot lights.

I just need to install one of those special connectors with the "slot"? in it I suppose, that way it can fit on the prong of the Temp sensor. BTW at what Temp/Oil Psi do the sensors trip the lights?

As far as the Oil Pressure sensor, I found the egg-like metal bulb behind the distributor, but it seems to be missing something from the top of it, there is just a hole there, no electrical connector. It doesn't leak or shoot oil, however I am thinking this as well needs to be replaced???

Lastly, I found two stray wires in the forward lamp harness, one is Pink w/Blk stripe, and the connector on it has the special "slot" much like the temp sensor wire should. What is this wire for?

The other stray is a solid Black wire with a connector, that I suppose would be to work my horn which is Tango 6 MIA on me at the present time. Is it for my horn?

Thanks again for the great help and pics. I would definitely take wiring over body work
This wiring disaster is almost all cleaned up now, I am very proud of myself

[This message has been edited by angel68 (edited 01-19-2002).]

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I don't see a wire in the forward harness like you descrribed.

The black wire sounds like the horn wire to the horn relay from the switch.

I would take that wiper switch out and measure it with a meter before I would buy another. You still could have an open wire.

They still make temp senders with either type of terminal on the top. Also there is a small adapter that goes on the top converting the blade style back to the round clip. Usually in the box when you order a replacement over the counter.

Use new senders on the engine. Grounding the sender wires on an idiot light car (temp and oil) makes the lights come on.
(Think I hit most of the questions BTW, you can get a schematic for the car. It would help. They are found in the Chevelle manuals.)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you for your help again John.

To be honest with you, I have no idea what that pink wire does either. I will have to chase it around up into the fuse panel to see where it goes, probably something added by the owner again.

How exactly would I test my wiper switch? I do have a multimeter, but haven't the foggiest on how to set her up to check the switch.

For now I would like to see if these senders on my car actually work. Is there any way to test them? At what temp is the Temp sensor supposed to ground and turn on the light? At what psi does the Oil Pressure sensor trip the light, or does this depend on which one I buy???

I will most likely replace the Oil Pressure sender as it is obvious to me that it is missing something, but if there is a way to see if my Temp sensor is still good or not, I would like to see. Is coolant going to attack me once I take that out?

Wiring, wiring, wiring.....

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
"How exactly would I test my wiper switch? I do have a multimeter, but haven't the foggiest on how to set her up to check the switch."

They are not difficult to check the second time you do it. Dean already showed you which is the input and outputs. Perhaps there's someone around you that could give you a lesson on how to use the meter.

"For now I would like to see if these senders on my car actually work. Is there any way to test them? At what temp is the Temp sensor supposed to ground and turn on the light?"

Any test I describe still would require you to use your meter. If there is any doubt, replace the sender. It is cheap insurance.

"At what psi does the Oil Pressure sensor trip the light, or does this depend on which one I buy???"

Buy the correct idiot light sender for your engine. Not the one for a gage. It is closed, light comes on, when the engine is off. It opens, light goes off, when the oil pressure comes up.

"Is coolant going to attack me once I take that out?"

Drain the radiator down a little bit if the sender is in the head.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
The pink/black wire is for the key warning circuit. If all the components are connected and functioning correct it will buzz the horn relay if the key is in the ignition and the drivers door is opened.

You can check the wiper switch by using the OHM function of your multi meter. Select the ohm function and connect the leads together, the meter should indicate 0 ohms (resistance). With the leads not connected together the meter should indicate max resistance (infinite resistance).

To test the switch: Connect one meter lead to a good ground. Just to make sure you have a good connection connect the second meter lead to ground at a different location, the meter should indicate 0 or close to 0. Now disconnect the black lead from the wiper motor and connect the second meter lead to it(with the first lead still connected to ground). The meter should indicate at or near 0 with the switch in the off and low positions and should indicate max with the switch in the hi position. Disconnect the light blue lead and connect the second meter lead to it. The meter should indicate max with the switch in the off position and at or near 0 with the switch in the low and hi positions.

What you are verifying is that the black wire grounds at the switch when in off or low and that the light blue wire grounds at the switch when in low or hi.

Connect the second meter lead to the dark blue wire. The meter should indicate at or need 0 when pushing the wash button on the wiper switch.
Note: Starting a wash cycle should also start the motor in low speed by rotating the switch to the low position.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 01-21-2002).]

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will check resistance tomorrow as you stated, thanks again Elree.

I was just driving her down the street today for the first time in a long time, and the wipers were blipping on and off going down the road, what gives?

Is it because the wiper switch needs to be grounded, as per the picture given here? Is it because my switch is shot, I am going to test them soon when I have the time, thanks again ever so much,

angel68

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You know, I think when my wipers were "blipping" on and off, that it was actually in the LO speed setting.

This was all-the-way-left.
To the middle keeps the wipers on (I guess this is HI)
All the way right turns them off.
Now this is just turning my wiper switch. Am I correct??? I assumed that it was just not working it was so slow

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Off should be CCW
lo should be the middle
hi should be CW

Sounds like you do have a bad switch. Ground Up, M&H and Year One all skip 68. OPG lists one for $50. Check the one you have. If it is bad and you don't want to spend $50 let me know I have a good used 68 switch.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.