Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that the wiper speeds on my 72 El Camino seem so slow that they are fairly useless, especially at freeway speeds in even moderate rain. Is it possible to simply replace the motor with something from a newer El Camino, like something from the 1980's? Or maybe a later Chevrolet wiper motor with variable speeds? Or just a new motor for 1972? Thanks for your input and ideas.

Rob

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Here is something that will be avaliable soon from Detroit Speed and Engineering.
http://www.speakeasy.org/~andrewb/gtopics/wiper.jpg

Its the same setup that is used in their Camaro kits but made to mount on a 64-72 A body. It has 9 delay settings as well as low and high speed. The problem for now is that there is no "park" feature, so the wipers are not sucked down when you turn off the wipers. Kyle is working on that. Something to think about got a future upgrade. This setup also weighs way less then the original wiper motor and looks a lot better.

Andrew

------------------
Project GatTagO

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by andrewb70:
Here is something that will be avaliable soon from Detroit Speed and Engineering.
http://www.speakeasy.org/~andrewb/gtopics/wiper.jpg

Its the same setup that is used in their Camaro kits but made to mount on a 64-72 A body. It has 9 delay settings as well as low and high speed. The problem for now is that there is no "park" feature, so the wipers are not sucked down when you turn off the wipers. Kyle is working on that. Something to think about got a future upgrade. This setup also weighs way less then the original wiper motor and looks a lot better.

Andrew

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be great!

------------------
Team Members Forever #341

Richard, Judy, MAXX2

'69 Elke (Frame Off); GM HO 350/330-Mildly Ported Vortec Heads-Manley Severe Duty SS 2.02/1.60 Valves, Comp Cams Full Roller Package (Magnum)-Custom Grind CS 3315/3316 HR112-.510/.520 Lift, Edelbrock Air-Gap W/750 Performer Manual Choke-Performer 100 HP NOS, March Pulleys, 4L60 (Non Computer) W/Lokar Shifter, 12 Bolt Posi., Full Aluminum Bed With Full Tubs, Aluminum Firewall, Custom Aluminum Dash/Gauge Bezel.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
If anyone is interested in this setup, they can keep an eye out on the DSE website. I am sure that once it is avaliable, Kyle will post it on the website.
http://www.detroitspeed.com

Andrew

------------------
Project GatTagO

·
Registered
454 Posts
I was thinking of doin the late model wiper motor deal and using a simlar to stock switch(The one I have in my 79 elcamino has delay)On my 71 elcamino.Mark Stielow done the wiper motor on his "MULE" in PHR,he had to make a adapter plate to mate it to the fire wall,very clean looking.I think it was a 98 truck motor,I can't seem to locate the issue that its in.Latter part of 02 I'm sure.
RobtW
I know what you mean about the wipers being useless!

------------------
71'Elcamino SS454

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
The DSE kit that I am using on my car uses the exact same motor that Mark used on "The Mule", except with a different adaptor plate. It is actually from a late model Cadillac, although I am not sure the exact application.

Andrew

------------------
Project GatTagO

·
Premium Member
1,041 Posts
Originally posted by RobtW:
I have noticed that the wiper speeds on my 72 El Camino seem so slow that they are fairly useless, especially at freeway speeds in even moderate rain. Is it possible to simply replace the motor with something from a newer El Camino, like something from the 1980's? Or maybe a later Chevrolet wiper motor with variable speeds? Or just a new motor for 1972? Thanks for your input and ideas.

Rob
OPG shows-

PZ50117 68-72 all $ 99.95

It does not include the washer pump assembly.

Another post quite awhile ago showed a company that rebuilds them to "New".

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts