Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just installed a rebuilt wiper motor using my existing wiring through the firewall, and the orginal switch. It's moving kinda slow too. Everytime I start up the car it automatically turns on, even w/ the switch off. What could it be? Thanks for any help. Eric

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
What year car? Most feed through a relay in the engine compartment. Post back with year and how it's wired, someone will be able to help.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The year is 65, the motor option is type "C"(depressed park 2 sp) and it's wired w/ 3 terminals to the switch and 3 terminals(bottom) to the motor and 2 for the washer(on top). I'm not sure but I think there's a relay inside the motor as I read in the chassis manual. I don't know if this matters, but there's a 2 terminal connector that exist connecting to the engine harness w/ 1 wire connecting, but the other slot is empty w/ no metal connector on the inside or a wire connecting to anything. It seems like somethings missing.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
There's no relay for the wiper. If you unplug the connector on the switch, does the motor stop?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I hope this helps.

”option is type "C"(depressed park 2 sp)”

This may be a problem, depressed park is an option that was first available in 68, on the Chevelle line. I’m assuming you have the round motor. It may not be a problem as not all round motors are depressed park, this is a 64 non depressed round motor, this is the depressed park motor used on 68 and later, and this is the square motor commonly found on 64 – 67 Chevelles. It should be obvious which you have.

” don't know if this matters, but there's a 2 terminal connector that exist connecting to the engine harness w/ 1 wire connecting, but the other slot is empty w/ no metal connector on the inside or a wire connecting to anything.”

The base wiper motor for 64 – 66 Chevelle was a single speed motor, the engine harness/dash harnesses have the two wires needed. If the optional two speed, w/ or wo/washer, was installed the power feed wire, part of the engine harness, was removed from the single speed connector and installed in the two speed wiper harness, the other wire/connector was abandoned in the engine compartment and under the dash. The optional two speed wiper harness has it’s own hole through the firewall and includes the connectors for the two speed switch, the motor, and the washer pump.

Your wiper harness should have a black/yellow wire that is hot, +12V, when the ignition is on it will also jumper to the washer pump. The three other wires should ground at the switch to operate the two speeds and the washer pump I don’t know the colors as I don’t have a harness in front of me. The second wire to the washer pump should ground when the wash button is pushed. The two wires for the motor should both ground for low speed and one ground for high speed.

I’m thinking the problem is going to be in the motor. The motor is grounded and has a switch that is closed whenever the wipers are not in park, when the dash switch is off the motor will drive to the park position. If for some reason the switch in the motor is not opening or is opening but vibration is causing it to close, the motor will run with the switch off.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the motor does stop when I unplug it. I got the name "type C depressed 2 sp" from my 65 chassis manual, so I just assume they had depressed motors back in 65. I also have that harness you are talking about w/ the black/yellow wire jumping to the washer. I'll check out a wiring harness diagram and if that doesn't work, I'll call up WiperWorks, the place I bought it from and ask them what's wrong. I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I stand corrected! You're right it is a depressed park motor and is the two speed motor used on 64 & 65. Guess I thought the, new for 68 hidden wipers was the first use of a depressed wiper motor. Wrong!!

The switch grounds the black wire when in off and in low, grounds the light blue when in low and high and the dark blue is for the washer pump.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll check it out tommarow when I get some time, thanks a bunch. Eric

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I check out the harness a little, but then found out my car had other problem like a blown power valve. First comes first, I'll need to get the car running first. But I did check out the harness and switch, not to much to look for, everything seemed like it match up to your description in the wires. So what I did was email the guy I bought it from and told him everything. I was thinking about that connector w/ the empty slot in it, what's the other wire that exist go to and what's it for? I'll let you know when the guy emails me back.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The guy from WiperWorks emailed me back and said:
"I do bench check each windshield wiper motor before shipping to the
customer.
We will solve the problem.

The wiring harness going to wiper motor has three wires in one plastic
connector for the wiper motor and two wires in another plastic connector for
the washer pump.

In the three wire connector going to the wiper motor, the center terminal
should have 12 volts only, when wiper switch is turned on.

The wiper motor should not have 12 volts on the center terminal, untill you
turn wiper switch on.

If wiper motor has 12 volts on center terminal before you turn wiper switch
on, I would check windshield wiper switch."

I'll be sure to check out the switch after the rain stops and let you guys know. Eric

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I'm not sure what Wiper Works is thinking. The wiper switch does not apply power to the wiper motor, it grounds the left and right terminals to run the motor. The center terminal will get 12 V when the ignition switch is on. The left terminal will be grounded, by the switch, when the switch is off. Both left and right terminals will be grounded when the switch is in low speed. The right terminal will be grounded when the switch is in high speed. I would use an ohm meter or a test light to verify the switch operation.

1- With this terminal grounded the motor will drive to the park position. When in the park position a switch inside the motor assembly will open to stop the motor.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I found the problem, it's the switch because I tryed hooking everything up again today and I got the motor to turn off when I turned the switch off myself a couple of times. I think it's just a worn switch. I had to turn the switch to the left pretty hard just to get it to turn off. I also checked out the fuse w/ a circuit tester, and for some reason I only got one side of the terminal to light up. My fuse box is a little rusty too(going to be replaced very soon).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts