Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has got me stumped. I just chased /tested continuity on all the wiring to my wiper motor. I know the motor works since if you push in the wash mode, it cycles. However, putting the switch in any other mode give nothing. I've tested the switch and it shows continuity from the top ( blue) to the bottom ( black ) terminal without the switch being on. What the ...

This is a '67.

Any thoughts or ideas of what else to check?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unfortunately, all I can offer you is empathy. Take heart in knowing that I have almost the exact same problem! The only difference is that mine is somewhat intermittent. But like you, when the wipers don't work, pressing the switch to wash does the trick! Go figure. I have a '69.

On a related matter, my hidden wipers don't hide. As I recall when I had to replace my wiper motor in my first '69 way back in the mid '70s, the wiper arm from the motor is a different length for hidden wipers. It would not surprise me that the do-yank from whom I purchased this fine automobile put in the wrong length arm. Can you tell me what the correct length should be? (The present arm has "65" stamped on it. Could that actually be the year stamped on the arm???)

Thanks

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Gene,
I'd love to help out, but without more info it will be tough. Need to know for example if the switch is supplying +12v or GND to the motor. I'll check out my 70 wiring diagram and see what I can come up with. Hopefully it's relatively the same.

As for the 2nd question about the hideaway, someone mentioned recently that the motors are different for the hideaways, so that could be the problem - wrong wiper motor.

·
Premium Member
2,035 Posts
hey gene,
first,thanx for the e-mail.
I once had a wiper motor doing this,this sounds really stupid, but I rapped it with the handle of a screwdriver and it came to life,If you have elec. to the motor when switch is on wipe,I would say a bad connection or the brushes are flatspotted.I an not a elec.wiz so i dont want to misslead you with any of that.hope this helps.Have a good one. 67rat member #199

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, after the RatRap, I might just take this one in to a shop. They specialize in electric stuff. I have a hard time deciphering the diagrams and can't tell where the heck the yellow wire comes from. Anyway, thanks for the replys.

G

·
I think this is a very common problem with 67s, I'm told that it is the switch. Mine has exactly the same symptoms, will work when you push the washer button in, but not in either of the other 2 positions. My car is a 67 El Camino.

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
For what it's worth, on the 1970 diagram, it looks like the yellow wire is the +12v feed from the fuse block. Yellow brings +12v to the wiper motor (when ignition switch is "on") and is then daisy-chained to the washer solenoid. The dash switch likely brings ground to the elec motor at the bottom or midway of the windings for full or half (normal) wiper speed. It's possible that the wiper switch is broken, yet the washer switch kicks off the cycle through different means (the washer solenoid). Never having troubleshot one, this is a wild guess...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wild, but on the money TK. I checked again with my VOM last night and , yes, the yellow is hot ( ignition on). How can a switch in a car with 30,000 miles on it be bad? Donnow, but that's the deal. I'll have to get a new switch and, at the same time, replace the wonderful sterophonic speaker ( yeah right )which doesn't want to work either.

I shouldn't be surprised, I've already replaced a sticky ignition switch.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-08-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Strike that last post. I took the motor off tonight and wired it directly to the battery. I can't get the bugger to turn. I quick inspection of the wiring from the terminals show that possibly, one of the wires is bad. Anyway, I think it's the motor or the wiring to the motor specifically. And yes the washer mode is wired differently so naturally it'll turn the motor but the other wiring won't.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
I would just like to say I hate you all j/k. you jinxed me my wipers were working fine till today on my 67. I am now in the same boat. will work if I engage the squirter but not it I just turn it. My wiring looks good. thanks a lot guys. still waiting for a cure here.

------------------
Thanks for the help

Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu

·
Registered
117 Posts
The wiring for the wiper motor is a little tricky. The following explanation is for a 66-67 wiper motor. Other motors are similar. The wiper motor has +12vdc applied to two different circuits in the motor when the ignition key is on. One is to make the wiper motor run when you turn the wiper switch on, the other is to keep it running until it has reached the park position after you have turned the switch off. The wiper switch applies ground to the motor to make it work. When looking at the wiper motor from the front of the car, there is a vertical set of connections just to the left of the washer assembly. There will be either 3 or 4 spade type connections. The motors with 3 connections, are from the top, +12vdc, low speed ground, hi speed ground (might be confused as to which one is low speed and which one is hi speed). If the motor has 4 connections, the top two are +12vdc, then low speed ground and hi speed ground. With 12vdc applied to the top connector and ground applied to one of the bottom two connectors, the motor should run with the speed dependant on which connector is grounded. If you remove the ground, the motor will stop, probably not in the park position. To park the wiper motor, ground the metal case of the wiper motor. When installed in the car, this ground is through the brass eyelet around one of the rubber mounting grommets. When the motor reaches the park position, it internally disconnects the ground and the motor stops. The 12vdc is also connected to the washer pump, and ground is applied to the solenoid in the pump assembly when the button is pushed on the wiper switch.
Hope this helps, sorry about the length but I was trying to be clear.
Also, if you try to run the motor on the bench, please verify all connections before applying power or ground.

Bob Murray

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
I was Hopping this would be a quick fix, like when my wipers didn't work and it turned out to be the fuse. i know for a fact the pervious owner of my car put a new rebuilt wiper motor in my car (and squirter). and i also know my wiring it making the connections it needs because i just got done cleaning all my contacts and squirting them with a little dielectric Greece. I am thinking its the switch? Hope this is some help.

------------------
Hot66ss

66 ss
67 malibu
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hot66SS, Greece is a country!

Mr. Murray, excellent explaination. Unfortuntely, this afternoon, I copped out and took the motor to a local auto electric shop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.