Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today I went to use my wipers to clear off some water, no go.Tonight with my wife at the switch and me under the hood I heard a click when she hit the switch,but the wipers wont move .The squirter pump seems to be moving but it wont squirt water either.
What do I need to be checking or replacing?
Thanks, Mark
PS.I did a search and didn't find anything
useful.

[This message has been edited by ss_72man (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
934 Posts
Can't help on the wipers but if the pump is clicking it probably just needs to be primed.

I like to remove the hose from the washer jar and attach a small funnel. (hose going into the hole on the funnel) Fill it with water and work the pump.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 C10 stepside 350
1971 Cheyenne 20 3/4 ton
Somebody stop me... :)

Looking for Chevelle or Impala parts? Click here:
Chevelle parts for sale

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Mark
Check for voltage on the yellow wire (with the ignition switch on). It comes from the WIPER fuse in the fuse block. Use a voltmeter or a test light.

Check the wiring/switch as follows. Use an OHMmeter to check for correct grounding of the light blue, black and dark blue wires. Disconnect the connectors at the wiper motor. With the switch off the light blue wire only should be grounded. With the switch on low the light blue and the black wires should be grounded. When on high the black wire only should be grounded. When you push the switch for wash the dark blue wire should be grounded.

Refer to the following for wiper operation. I'm assuming you have the hideaway wipers.

68-72 hideaway wiper system. SEE ILLUSTRATION

1. Wiper switch. (grounds the three attached wires as follows)
Black- grounded in Low-speed and Hi-speed positions.
Light Blue- grounded in Low-speed and Off positions.
Dark Blue- grounded when pushed for washer pump operation.

2. Run solenoid. The Black wire is grounded to lock out the park (mechanically prevents the wipers from being driven to the park position) and close the run/park switch.

3. Shunt winding. This winding is parallel to the armature winding.

4. Series winding. This winding is in series with the armature and shunt windings.

5. Run/Park switch. Closed when the run solenoid is energized (Black wire grounded) or when the run solenoid is de-energized and wipers are not in park position.

6. Wash pump start coil. When the Dark Blue wire is grounded this coil latches the wash pump for one cycle.

7. Shunt winding resistor. Grounds the shunt winding during high-speed operation bypassed (Light Blue wire grounded) during low-speed and park.

8. Wiper motor fuse (25 amp) in fuse block. Has +12 VDC when ignition switch is in run or accessory position.

[This message has been edited by Elree Colby (edited 03-15-2002).]

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
Elree, that's an even better diagram than
the one that was up here.

I think he has a poor ground on something.
Thats why he gets the click and nothing happening.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts