Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a webpage where I can view a wiring diagram for the wiper motor in my 70' Chevelle? I have bought an overhauled unit but I can't figure out how to connect it. It is for concealed wipers. It has 4 connectors, 1 on top of the other 3. My wiper switch has three connectors. I tried to search for previous topics on this but I am still not quite sure what to do after having read through them. Please help! Thanks.

·
Registered
507 Posts
You have fou connectors on your wiper motor? or do you have four wires? two conectors?

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
posted for John_Muha
The 68-72 hideaway wiper system.

1. Wiper switch. (grounds the three attached wires as follows)

Light Blue- grounded in Low-speed and Hi-speed positions.

Black- grounded in Low-speed and Off positions.

Dark Blue- grounded when pushed for washer pump operation.

2. Run solenoid. The Light Blue wire is grounded to lock out the park (mechanically prevents the wipers from being driven to the park position) and close the run/park switch.

3. Shunt winding. This winding is parallel to the armature winding.

4. Series winding. This winding is in series with the armature and shunt windings.

5. Run/Park switch. Closed when the run solenoid is energized (Light Blue wire grounded) or when the run solenoid is de-energized and wipers are not in park position.

6. Wash pump start coil. When the Dark Blue wire is grounded this coil latches the wash pump for one cycle.

7. Shunt winding resistor. Grounds the shunt winding during high-speed operation, bypassed (Black wire grounded) during low-speed and park.

8. Wiper motor fuse (25 amp) in fuse block. Has +12 VDC when ignition switch is in run or accessory position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have the wipers working great now, except when it is in high speed smoke starts coming from the unit after a little while. I bought the unit reconditioned. Is there a resistor power goes through at high speed? Might it just be paint that is burning?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I have not seen one smoke. There is no resistor inside. Speed is controlled by the switch selecting the different motor windings.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Smoke from the motor indicates that it is shorted inside. Either the motor is not wiring correctly or one of the windings are shorted.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts