Chevelles.com banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to disassemble the wiper motor housing so I could bead blast and paint. Broke the little plate that holds the brushes.

It really ticks me off, because it worked perfectly before I got my hands on it. Even the washer pump still worked.

What do you think? Send it out to have it repaired or just buy a new one. Are they even available?

[ 12-12-2003, 11:27 AM: Message edited by: John_Muha ]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sheesh just got the car back and screwed things up already. Had a used one but gave it away last year. Figured I never would have a use for a used motor. They make spray cleaner for electrical items.
Might spot a used one at the junk yard. Think they run around $15.00. Just test it before you pay for it. Kragen did sell rebuilt ones. Probably still do. Price is around $75.00 without the pump and cover.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Link doesn't work. Think you have the hidden, concealed, or park style blades and motor. Left wiper blade arm has an extra arm on the driver's side. Motor is round. You might be looking at the non-hidden motor. The one I got from Kragen matched my old one.
*Why can I picture this small pile of motors, at the junk yard, all tore open with broken boards?*

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Tim, I think I have the unit John is talking about. I think I still have the old motor laying around the garage, if it'll work let me know. If I remember right John's parts car is a 72?

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by Cecil:
Tim, I think I have the unit John is talking about. I think I still have the old motor laying around the garage, if it'll work let me know. If I remember right John's parts car is a 72?
Should be the same motor as my 68 if its a round one. All I need is the board that holds the brushes. If you don't need it, I wouldn't mind having it.

I did find out that motors are still available from the dealer. Part No. 12368606. They aren't cheap though $189 was the 'discount' price I was quoted :eek:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
That car is long gone. Wasn't much left of by the time it left. Yeah, the 68 to 72 Chevelle hidden motors are all the same. Motor was used in other GM cars.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by TimC:
$189 was the 'discount' price I was quoted :eek:
I know I can beat that! Email me your address and I'll let you know what shipping is (assuming I can find the thing in my garage...)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discount, Jeez Tim? Where are you shopping? Down the street? Was that with tax?
Flow Chevy has them for $118.00, if that's the correct number, and I can't do much searching right now.
www.gmpartsdirect.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks John. That's closer to my price range.

Cecil is going to ship what's left of the motor you sold (gave?) him. I should be able to save my unit if the board is good. That is if I don't break anything else in the process!

Thanks again Cecil & John. The beers are on me.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I think Cecil is sending you his old motor, not the one I sent him. At least that's the way I read things. His old one had a problem of some kind but don't recall what it was. Don't think it involved the piece you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by John_Muha:
I think Cecil is sending you his old motor, not the one I sent him. At least that's the way I read things. His old one had a problem of some kind but don't recall what it was. Don't think it involved the piece you are looking for.
My old one works, it just didn't shut off under load. It worked fine when I disconnected the wiper arms. Not too bad for SoCal, but a tad unfriendly when it did rain. The piece Tim needs should be just fine...

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Cecil

Note to self: When disassembling the motor Cecil sent, remember the armature and field should be removed together.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This is probably the motor you have:

Advance Auto 40-142 $57.99. I replaced mine last year and then found out the old motor worked, it was just a bad ground.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by 68Elkie:
This is probably the motor you have:

Advance Auto 40-142 $57.99. I replaced mine last year and then found out the old motor worked, it was just a bad ground.
Yep, that looks like the animal. Fortunately, the motor that Cecil sent me had the parts I needed to repair the one I have.

BIG thanks to Cecil and John Muha

I will drop the funds in tonight's mail Cecil.

Anyone ever tried to polish a wiper motor housing?
I think I have way too much time on my hands.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Originally posted by TimC:
Fortunately, the motor that Cecil sent me had the parts I needed to repair the one I have.

BIG thanks to Cecil and John Muha

I will drop the funds in tonight's mail Cecil.
I'm glad you got it and it works for you! Always nice to find a home for something I'm not going to use and make someone happy at the same time. Anyone need a drum brake master cylinder and vacuum booster? Or an old points distributor? Or some old, maybe I should stop here... ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts