Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
John, I read Bob's post, and it's a good explanation of how the motor works, but doesn't help me yet. In checking the wires on my motor, I found that only the pump wires were plugged in. The other plugs were just sitting on top of the spades on the motor. I got sparks when trying to connect them.

My motor has four spades, 3 horizontal, and one single spade above them. I have two plugs, one with one connector and one with two connectors. There are three wires going into the two connector plug and I'm getting 12v from the yellow wires.

All four spades on the wiper motor show continuity to ground. Reading Bob's post, I wouldn't expect any of these to be grounded. Now what do I do? Pull the motor apart?
--
Ed

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You will see some resistance through the windings to ground. I'm not sure of the value. Yes the yellow wire is 12 volts. See if this link has a better description. It almost sounds like there was a problem with that motor and someone unplugged it. http://www.chevelles.com/forum/Forum22/HTML/001500.html

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-22-2002).]

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks again John - the link helped me get the wires hooked up correctly. No wipers though. I ran 12v to the center spade (Yellow) and tried shorting the spades on either side to ground. Got a click out of one side, nothing from the other, still no motor movement.
Is there something I can do if I take the motor apart, or should I start looking for a replacement?
--
Ed

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Personally I don't play with them too much. If it's a hidden or recessed style motor there's a relay inside. With the click sound you heard it may be engaging. Nothing to lose but time you may want to check that out. When my motor died on the 72 I just bought a rebuilt from Kragen. They were cheaper than the repo houses.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks John. Advance Auto just opened in our area and they carry wiper motors for $46 compared to $100 at the repro places, I also picked up a W/S washer rebuild kit off the shelf. They even had a Neutral Safety switch for $7.50 - didn't think I'd ever be able to find one of those.
--
Ed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts