Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 92 Suburban wipers quit. Not a fuse kinda thing. When I hit the switch all they do is buzz. No movement. I am not familiar with the system. I hear rumors of a circuit board. Washers also failed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
bill, there is a circuit board on the motor. there are 3 screws the retain it and a push in retainer on the wiring connector. I may be able to find one, do you have intermittant wipers?

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes Leo it has intermittant wipers.

Circuit board on the motor you say? I guess I need to take a closer look at that. In fact I shall go look at it now. I will let you know what I find.

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok...went ...looked and see the following. ww motor has plug in on top of motor housing and the drive mechanism appears to be behind a large black cover to the right of the motor assy. I assume that the circuit board is behind that cover? Or is it under the dash somewhere? I don't want to dig into this with out knowing a bit more. Thanks Leo, Bill

p.s. the assembly is held together with "torx" screws...the bastids! Good thing I have all those kinky tools huh? lol

[This message has been edited by charbilly2001 (edited 09-06-2002).]

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Under the cover, I'll bet the connector on the circuit board is grey. I couldn't find one, you'll have to see if you can.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
charbilly2001

I can help here..Yes there is a module..Its
just like my 92 GMC PU. I have replaced a few of them. That is most likely the trouble. The module is buzzing because it has failed; sorta like a relay sometimes does when it fails.

I have posted a wiring diagram for your surburban. It is in WORD format. Hopefully
it might help you..
http://home.hot.rr.com/importtech/jpgs/92suburban.doc http://home.hot.rr.com/importtech/jpgs/surburban.doc
------------------
best regards
Importtech

[This message has been edited by Importtech (edited 09-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Importtech (edited 09-06-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most excellent both of you. Indeed it buzzes. I am reasonably sure I will be able to get the board from Chev. I will post results. Thanks again .

Excellent wiring diagram also importtech. Thank you for that .

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Chevy had a recall on the 96 Tahoes and maybe other trucks that called for replacement of the module that was causing wiper failure, my dealer took care of it immediatly upon presentation of the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
In the FWIW category the module is about
$60.00. We have repaired a few of them. The
solder joints of the (lower five pins of the module connector generally break and can
sometimes just be resoldered. A close inspection could reveal if this is the problem. Most of the time the wipers and or
washers are randomly inoperative. There is
a relay box on the module which may be the
source of the buzzing. I'm not sure about repairing that but you might check the solder
joints and try soldering them. Might save you
$60.00

------------------
best regards
Importtech

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
importtech what you describe is exactly what I am experiencing. I will pull the module and look at the solder joints as soon as life gives me time to do so. This past and next weekends (got a wedding next weekend) are way too full for car work. I will pursue this asap. Thank you all. I will post results soonest.

I'd be doing this right now were it not for the fact that I am at work

[This message has been edited by charbilly2001 (edited 09-08-2002).]

·
Premium Member
4,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok here's my update. It rained Friday(finally) and the wife came home and confronted me about my sloth and indolence with regard to her nonfunctioning windshield wipers in her 92 Suburban. The pain level from her motivational lecture was at last sufficient motivation for me to actually open the hood and see if I could get them to work.

I pulled the circuit board out of the wiper unit and could see nothing wrong visually but being a cagy old codger I didn't let that influence me too much. Accordingly I went back into the house and brewed me a cup of coffee and gave the matter some serious thought.

After mulling the matter over for awhile and listening once again to another motivational lecture from my wife I gradually made my way back to the garage and dug through the tool box until I found my trusty soldering iron.

Remembering what importtech said about trying to resolder the connections on the circuit board I touched each and every solder joint on the circuit board and remelted the solder.

Viola! After reinstalling the circuit board the wipers once again function as designed. The delay works and the washers function also.

Dang! Now I am a hero again in the household enjoying the worshipful looks from my beloved lady. (bodes well for later
) THe kids respect me again! Life is beautiful! I think I will take a nap. Thanks again for the assist guys and especially importtech for steering me away from just spending money.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by charbilly2001:
The pain level from her motivational lecture was at last sufficient motivation for me to actually open the hood and see if I could get them to work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sounds like the problem was more related to volume and not the frequency. After close to 30 years I'm tone deaf at a certain frequency range.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts