Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new cowl induction hood from OPGI on my 1972 chevelle and have a clearance problem with the wipers. The Drivers side wipers rub when the hood is lifted and closed. Is this a problem with the way I have the Hood Adjusted or a problem with my hood hinges. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Excellent question, I have the same issue on my '69. With the hidden wipers, both hit on my hood. Almost ready to ditch the factory wipers and go with the small street rod units that mount under the cowl. Then use the low-profile arms and blades. What a headache!

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 70ss does the same thing. I think the repro hood is too long under the rear chrome strip. I'm going to take the chrome off and grind the edge back, then put the chrome back on. I've heard others have this same issue with repro hoods.

·
Super Moderator
13,352 Posts
edel,
My 71 is all original and it has plenty of room. It does not have the hideaway wipers though, dont know how much difference that makes.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I have the same problem on my 68 cowl hood. I think the problem is that they are modeled after the Z28 hood which is longer and is closer to the windshield. Currently not running my wipers as it is not my daily driver. Also found out it is not fun driving in the rain on the freeway with no wipers!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I realize that this post is from 2007 but has anyone found a cure for the clearance problem with the wipers. The Drivers side wipers rub when the hood is lifted and closed. I've lived with this issue since 1980 when I installed a GM cowl hood on my 1970. I'm doing a frame off resto and want eliminate the issue.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
do you have the original style wiper arms and blades? The original blades are really low profile. I never found any parts store ones that would work. I bought some from Hinshaws that were perfect.

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
wow, 12 year old post. Google never quits.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts