Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my new windshield motor in yesterday afternoon. Worked fine except that the washer was going the whole time.

I replaced the switch and it worked like it's supposed to.

Went out this morning to work and turned on the wipers to get the dew off, and the washers were going full blast again.

What gives?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Elree does wipers better than I if he's around. Believe it's the dark blue wire that gets grounded when the switch is slid over and the knob is pressed. It's only a momentary switch that gets shorted to ground and then it opens again.
If the switch is not holding that wire to ground, suspect it is not, the problem is back at the pump. The wash pump coil should be engaged for a cycle of the wipers. Sounds like it's staying engaged.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
It's likely a mechanical problem. Here's a pic. In pic 1 the pump unit is not pumping. "A" is positioned to keep the ratchet pawl "B" from latching the wheel "C". In pic 2 "A" is positioned to allow the pump cycle to start. As the ratchet pawl moves back and forth on a cam driven by the motor it drives the pump and rotates the wheel. When the wheel makes a complete revolution "A" will be pushed back into the position shown in pic 1 stopping the pump cycle. When power is applied to the coil "A" is pulled to the position shown in pic 2 the pump will start for one revolution of the wheel. If the spring is not in place on "A" the pump cycle will not stop.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. Two experts on one thread!
I haven't had a chance to check the circuits, but believe it's a mechanical problem.

I layed across the motor and watched this thing work and think the spring may be weak.

Tomorrow, after the range and a grass cutting, I will do some checking and get back to you.

Thank ya'll very much.

Mark

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's mechanical. The armature is hitting the flat piece that makes the pump go through it's rotation.

I can put the flat piece in place and it's fine until I hit the washer button. Then it just keeps going.

I've thought about bending the tip of the armature upward, but don't want to mess anything up.

Any idea's?

Thanks, Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts