Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just replaced the washer pump for a '71 W/depresed park) new from NPD. After finishing I was able to hook the pin coming from the wiper motorwith the pump. When I turn on the wipers I noticed the washer was pumping water from the reservoir even w/out the electrical wire conector attached to it. It just keep pumping all the time. Does anyone has done a replacement that can give some inputs???
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
Not at all sure what is wrong here but I will take a shot at it.
Two things come to mind.
#1 Did you connect the brass grounding strap to the washer pump body when you reinstalled the pump. That grounding strap is critical but I don't know if not connecting it would cause your problem.

#2 Installing the pump is a bit tricky. If you invert the pump and look at the pump cam (the 4 armed "star" wheel) you will see a small hole in one of the arms. That hole has to be lined up with the corresponding hole on the metal portion of the washer pump. Normally I use an allen wrench for this purpose inserting it first through the body(metal portion) and then into the arm. Lining up the two holes is difficult because you are working against spring pressure to get the two holes to line up. When you do this it will index the pump to the pump actuating pin such that the pump pumps properly. Failing to do this will prevent the pump from working properly and it will make a knocking noise too.

When you get the pump properly indexed to the actuating pin tighten the pump screws and then remove the allen wrench. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts