Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on my 1969 Chevelle. My wiper motor and hidden wipers work well on both speeds as I've had the motor out and cleaned and installed with no issues. My windshield washer never did work. I've thought about rebuilding so took it apart to see what I had and needed. It's too far gone to rebuild. I am considering using a universal tank/motor combo (a whopping $11 at Amazon Prime) and running a hot lead from the washer coil to the motor on the tank. Then run a single washer hose to a tee behind the wiper motor then to the nozzles. I have the original nozzles. I know the original washer would be cool, but I think this is within my budget. And it should function.

Does the location of the washer tank look sort of OK? I moved my overflow tank..

New pic and old pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes it looks fine. I have a 68 Chevelle SS with the same issue on the washer pump. I not only disassembled the washer pump but used compressed air to clean out all the lines. Once I reassembled the washer pump it worked. What I remember is the rubber gasket over the washer pump must be properly position or will not work properly. Hope this might help.

·
Premium Member
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Dennis. I've rebuilt one before, but it's been a while. I do remember the rebuild kit does not include the seal on the plastic piston. Anyway there were other issues on this one too. I've seen folks just add a washer pump under the plastic housing and wire it to a 'dummy' plug on the small coil so the stock harness works perfect. I would still have to buy a tank, so this seems a OK way to go and to top it off, it works very well. I just didn't want it to look too out of place.

Thanks for your input.

Yes it looks fine. I have a 68 Chevelle SS with the same issue on the washer pump. I not only disassembled the washer pump but used compressed air to clean out all the lines. Once I reassembled the washer pump it worked. What I remember is the rubber gasket over the washer pump must be properly position or will not work properly. Hope this might help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts