Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How hard is this for a do it yourself job?

I was going to let the professionals do this, but it doesn't look too hard to do, just have to be careful and have a buddy help. Any helpful hints? I have all the trim clips and the roll of goo and blocks from Year One.
jmw

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
You can do it yourself, but if it leaks, you will have to fix it.I have a card of a guy in Resaca, up above Calhoun, who you can call, and he will give you a price.He replaces windshields for Jasper Jeep.I'll email you when I get home this evening.

------------------
1972 Malibu (1 st. car) Project waiting to happen
Team Chevelle # 427
A.C.E.S. # 1282

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, While I am game to give it a try, I wouldn't mind having someone else do it right the first time.
jmw

·
Registered
167 Posts
Depending on what kind of shape its in, cuttingthat seal can be "tiring" it's one of those things that about a third of the way in you start wondering what the heck you got yourself into. Just my opinion, although it has been diagnosed that I am getting lazier as I get older, and don't have the resolve to do as many things myself as I used to when I was young and broke all the time! Actually, the labor on replacing a windshield usually isn't that bad.

------------------
Steve

72 Chevelle SS402/4sp

·
Registered
51 Posts
Before you commit, check for rust under the lower winshield chrome piece, if it's bad, this job can go from small to big in a hurray!

If you have some old 10/3 spd bikes around, the brake cables are great for cutting thru the old gasket. Do NOT be surprised to find a lot of rust under there. Holes gotta be welded to last, and all the surface stuff has got be gouged out and painted or your seal will never take. Pay close attention to the upper post areas, they're usually not very level transitioning from the upperwinshield area to the post area. make up the difference by leveling it with a streached out piece of the windshield gasket (form it with clean hands like clay) then lay the new gasket over it.

Good Luck!

------------------
68 El Camino...Slow, Much Work Required
98 Z28...Fast, No Work Required
Goodfellow AFB, San Angelo, TX -- Where? That's what I said..

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, luckily I have the glass out and have got 99% of the old stuff out. The back only had a few bad spots but the front channel is pretty thin. I have done the back using the POR putty as filler and it has turned out good. I think the front will be saveable if I am careful.

Thanks again.
jmw

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.