Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my original AM radio with a Custom Autosound one but it will not pull any radio stations in.(neither did the AM) All static with the antenna wire plugged in or not. I've got the internal antenna wire in the windshield and am wondering how I check the connectioninto the windshield? What do I look for? Is it under the dash pad? Were they known to be "not so good" antennas? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Scott,
Sounds like your antenna wire has gone south. You'll need to check in two places. #1 - under the dash pad. The antenna wire that connects to the radio input goes through the upper firewall at the base of the windshield. It switches to a different kind of wire (on mine) that had a crumbly rubber insulation that caused the internal wire to short to ground (NG!!) You will have a much easier time seeing things if you can pull off the metal trim strip at the base of the windshield. You can also see if the wire has just come off the connector on the windshield. God luck!
BTW, reception with the 'in-the-windshield' antenna has been good for me... but I live near LA so people can get good reception with recient dental work! :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
docaudio,

Thanks for the explanation. Maybe this weekend I can get the pad off and the windshield trim to have a look at things. I've got quite a bit of metal in my mouth so that's always an alternative!

Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
Scott,
I double-checked the antenna and you will not see much under the dash pad. The main area of concern is at the base of the windshiel (under the trim). A small wire comes out of the windshield - should have insulation on it and conects to an RCA type plug just under the windshield that then runs to the internal antenna cable. There's metal all around that area, so if the small wire's insulation is cracked or frayed, that will short out the antenna.
Hope this helps!
-Bill

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bill and Joe,

Thanks a bunch for all the information. I'll dig into it this weekend and hopefully correct the problem. Great info. on the web site!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dug into it a little tonight and all checked well under the stainless trim. Good clean connection and wires still in tact to the windshield. Screws were a bit of a rascal but got them out! Should have checked the connection at the back of the radio first because that's where my problem is. I can get the radio to get reception only if I put the end part way into the radio and then it needs to be bumped to the precise spot to get reception. Is the metal end supposed to be able to spin freely on the wire itself? How do I correct this or do I need to buy a new wire? If I plug the end all the way into the radio I get no reception. Can I buy an end, cut off the original and crimp a new one on?

Thanks

·
Registered
543 Posts
Scott,
The cable should seat solidly in the back of the radio... it sounds like you could use a new connector. Be careful installing a new one... get the proper crimp tool (and I don't a pair of rusty Vise-grips!!) Clean and check the fresh cut end before assembly to make sure you get the conductor safely to the center pin and not shorting to the shield.
Good luck!
-Bill

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bill,
Thanks for your help. I'm stopping at RadioShack on the way home from work tomorrow to try and get the goods to do the job.

Hopefully be jamming for the weekend! My children will be proud!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts