Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69SS and the windows do not seal properly. The doors appear to be hanging properly. I guess what I need is some detailed literature on how to adjust/repair these windows.
Do any of you know which books/manuals would have more detailed info on this. I have a couple and they do not show anything about proper window sealing or adjustment. Or maybe there is something in tech ref on this site that I may have missed?
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Don,
I went through the same trouble on my wife's Buick a couple of years ago and finally gave up and had a glass shop do it. It took him all of five minutes !!! Guess it helps when you do it all day, I will stick to motors from now on.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
If you really want to do it yourself, get a Fisher Body Manual for your car. It tell's you everything you need to know. E-bay usually has a bunch on auction.

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
With alot of patience, the job can be done. I would do as suggested earlier, buy a Fisher body manual and go from there. There are numerous adjustments that you may have to make. I have been sucessful at adjusting 69 windows in the past.

In case you want to play with the window a little more, here's where you might start.

1. Remove the inner door panel.
2. Loosen the upper window stops (front and back)
3. Loosen the fore and aft stops(allows glass to move forward and back). And loosen the fuzzies at the top of the inside of door.
4. Close door with window down and then roll window up to the closed position.
You may have to physically move the glass around to get it where you want it.
5. Check to see how the fit looks and make sure you don't see any big gaps at the quarter seal and at the top of the glass. Shift the glass around as necessary to make everything look even.
6. With the door still closed and the window up, snug the adjustments and lower the window.
7. From here, I'd reloosen the upper stops on the glass tracks and lower them about an eighth of an inch to allow for play in the window hardware and rollers, otherwise, the glass may raise up too high when you crank it up.
8. There are other adjustments to change the angle at which the glass comes up. If the glass is pushing against the weather strip too hard or not hard enough to seal, these will have to be adjusted as well.
These adjustments as I recall are at the top of the door and consist of the fuzzies which stabilize the glass and the upper hardware mounts which you can either move in or out to adjust the angle of the glass.

I hope this is undestandable. If you want more help, e-mail me. Adjusting the glass can be very frustrating because there are actually a few more adjustments than what I have described. If you have completely removed the window hardware and then replaced it, this won't be easy. Good Luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.