Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,594 Posts
Well now I have something to look forward to.

·
Administrator
17,187 Posts
I've set a few to not upgrade without issue so don't panic just yet.
Let's see what Deans response is.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I have an HP laptop. With Windows 10. If I get a black screen and it won't boot or the little blue spinny thing in the middle of the screen and it won't boot, I turn off the computer, turn it back on again, wait till I get the back black screen or the little spinny thing, and I do this a total of three times, on the third time it will say entering diagnostic mode and then I let it go through that process it usually comes back and says nothing's wrong I turn it off and start it again and it's fine. I don't know what it means, but it's worth doing as a last-ditch effort if none of these other guys can help you out

·
Gold Founding Member
64,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, dang, guess what, I was wrong. first of all, that's not what happened, it was only the Edge browser that quit, not the computer, and secondly it wasn't declining the Windows 11 upgrade that caused it,

Trying to mess with one laptop and bounce back and forth to a thread here on another computer at the same time when I can't think of two things at once anymore. :cry:

I had been trying to get MS Word 2007 to work on it like it does on all my other computers and had to click on (something?) that wound up telling me it would cost me I think $6.?? a month so I stopped and closed that, which disabled the edge browser.
I figured out that I could still use the Chrome browser and the laptop worked.
I just shut it off last night and hit the sack and started it back up this morning.

Now to try to see if I can get the edge browser back on it.

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
I have 3 systems. Two dell laptops, one can't be updated to Windows 11 because the motherboard lacks security features like UEFI and TPM in the BIOS and one that needs a patch that will not successfully install. That Dell that is ready for Windows 11 is still running fine on Windows 10. My (homemade gaming ) desktop is Windows 11 and after formatting all my drives for the new master boot record format requirement and changing my BIOS settings it came right up. Dean I suggest you go into the BIOS and reset it the defaults and see if that clears it up. If not restore your OS to a earlier date if possible otherwise you will need to run the OS tools and hopefully you will not need to reinstall Windows

·
Gold Founding Member
64,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a computer guy across town that I go to that puts stuff on for me, but I have a hard time driving anymore so last time the wife drove me over there and waited in the car while he fixed a desktop that the power supply blew up on when the poco changed my electric meter and blew out the power supply and both bulbs in the overhead fluorescent light above.

I need to stop being a junkie, my granddaughter gave me 11 laptops that I couldn't get to work and a guy I met on facebook marketplace when I gave him an engine diagnostic machine said he could get them all to work
I said good just give me back the best one and you can keep the other 10
After that he would never answer any of my email messages to him.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
I have 3 systems. Two dell laptops, one can't be updated to Windows 11 because the motherboard lacks security features like UEFI and TPM in the BIOS and one that needs a patch that will not successfully install. That Dell that is ready for Windows 11 is still running fine on Windows 10. My (homemade gaming ) desktop is Windows 11 and after formatting all my drives for the new master boot record format requirement and changing my BIOS settings it came right up. Dean I suggest you go into the BIOS and reset it the defaults and see if that clears it up. If not restore your OS to a earlier date if possible otherwise you will need to run the OS tools and hopefully you will not need to reinstall Windows
Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 is there more happened in there is it better faster less crashing

·
Super Moderator
4,751 Posts
Is it worth upgrading to Windows 11 is there more happened in there is it better faster less crashing
Al besides the taskbar shifting some stuff around which can be restored to a Windows 10 view it really looks and feels like Windows 10. Windows open faster which may only be perception then actual time. Most of the improvements are focused around better security and newer device support like M2 SSD Sticks that support much larger motherboard attached drives. Since my drives were set for Master Boot Record I had to format Terabytes of data. Did it improve my PC experience, not really but soon it will be like running Windows 98 six years ago as support will start to go away when Windows 10 starts to fade. IMO there is no rush to upgrade unless you need some limited new features or security.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
What's wrong with edge?
I didn't like how it was rooted in with Microsoft windows. It seemed to be a pita to bring in extensions. They layout wasn't to my liking.

To be fair, I haven't looked at it since it first got forced on my system and have uninstalled it long ago. Perhaps it has updated its way to being a great browser. I know I do not like Chrome personally, as I find it's a resource hog. Unfortunately some things only work with Google Chrome.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts