Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever have their window washers stuck on?

My 72 just keeps on spraying until I shut off the wipers. (they worked fine until 2 days ago)

Before I tear into it, I thought I would ask. Any of those "BTDT" replies are welcome.

------------------
Bob (Pa.)

1963 Impala 283
1966 Chevelle SS 409
1969 Malibu 307
1972 Malibu 307
1969 Chevy stepside 350

Bob's 409 Chevy Page

silverstone.fortunecity.com/tvr/246/bob_s_409_chevy_page_index.html

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I'm assuming that you have hidden wipers. This style of Wiper motor uses a replaceable washer pump. They cost about $25-30 at the auto parts stores. The replacements are somewhat different appearance from the originals, but they fit and function correctly. Every time I have had an old pump start to give trouble, I tried to repair it only to end up fighting with it every month or so until I got tired of monkeying with the old one. Then I spent the $30 and put a new one on and it works again for years.
I'd suggest just replacing the old pump with a new one.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Before you go digging out the $$, turn on the wipers and get under the hood and jiggle and pull halfway in/out all the wires going into the wiper motor and the pump. This might be your problem because I've had a similar problem on my '70 Elky where the wipers wouldn't move but the pump would work. Let me know how it goes. I don't think the pump needs to be replaced; its obviously something electrical because the pump's working.

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino non-SS aka Kaileigh
136800B122947 | November 25, 1969
Green Mist #45 w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
www.dreamelectric.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.